PDA

View Full Version : Please help :( scared think I just had an electric shock

Amandapanda88
14-10-15, 20:11
So I just finalised doing my hair with my straightens and turned the switch off and went to do my makeup when I came back the dog had the the wire from my straighteners in her mouth and had bite in to the wire . I was hoping it would still work as the straighteners are dear there GHD and cost £160 and I don't have the money to replace them this month am a student X so I
Switched the plug on and a big spark flew out and it made a Big Bang noise I jumped back I don't have any symptoms except getting a bit of a fright and shaking cos I feel worried that am going have a heart attack from the shock X my hand wasent touching the plug or the straightens X do u think am got electrocuted and going have a late reaction I turned off the main switch to the power in my house but am to scared to go near the plug and un plug invade I get a shock what should I do ? Please help

Fishmanpa
14-10-15, 20:30
If you've turned off the main power, it's safe to unplug it. The only thing that happened is it scared you.

Find someone to cut and spice the wires back together where the dog bit into it and you'll be fine to use it.

Positive thoughts

Pamplemousse
14-10-15, 20:51
The fuse should have blown in the plug, you're safe. If the damaged cable is near the plug, cut it there and fit a new plug to it. As you're a student, if you don't feel up to doing it yourself you should be able to find a kindly electrical engineering student to do it for you :)

By the way, you didn't get electrocuted because you've posted here: 'electrocution' is a portmanteau word for 'electrical execution'.

It's frightening when it first happens to you, but no harm will come to you. Been there, done that so many times as a youngster! I swear pushing my fingers into a live light fitting at age 5 and getting thrown across the room is what set me off on my path to becoming an electronic engineer...