PDA

View Full Version : Small relapse, hoping to keep it small :)

Spikie
15-10-15, 07:50
Hi all

Meh, not sure whether this is a request for help or just a cathartic way of getting my feelings out, respond as you see fit :)

I've had bouts of anxiety most of my life but it comes and goes. I've made a connection between having 'things that are mine' v 'things that are ours' and my anxiety levels.

So is one of our guinea pigs sick? Is the car playing up? Is there a household bill to pay? Who cares!
Are one of my snakes sick? Is my motorbike playing up? Do I have a bill that is in my name only? OMG SO MUCH STRESS!

I've been fine alately, mostly because everything that was 'mine' has gone (bike etc...), so I think any stress caused was now a problem shared. But I got new pets recently and it has pushed me over again, especially as they are new to me. I constantly imagine them escaping, or biting me, or being unhappy/ill. I am pretty sure this is only because they are 'mine', so anything that happens is all on me (odd that if a 'joint' pet escapes, even if it's my fault, I'm less stressed than if it is 'my' pet).

I will no doubt acclimatise, but for the moment it is a bit annoying :S The solution would be to consider them joint pets, but the whole idea is that they are mine, so I take responsibility, have something that depends on me and something I can raise.

I just need to get my head straight and get rid of the intrusive thoughts.

As I say, mostly I think I was just typing, but as always words of cheer would be appreciated :)

Oosh
15-10-15, 20:17
Have a more positive association with the things that are your responsibility.

They could come to harm if they were in another persons care. So thank god they are in your care. They are lucky, even you know that, because you are aware of how much their safety and well being means to you. "Phew, thank god these things are under MY wing. I'd hate to imagine what could happen if they weren't" cue relief.

Others really can be a lot more complacent than you are you know. If you were looking after anything of mine I think I'd feel quite relaxed as it's quite clear you care a lot. :yesyes:

Spikie
16-10-15, 09:42
Have a more positive association with the things that are your responsibility.

They could come to harm if they were in another persons care. So thank god they are in your care. They are lucky, even you know that, because you are aware of how much their safety and well being means to you. "Phew, thank god these things are under MY wing. I'd hate to imagine what could happen if they weren't" cue relief.

Others really can be a lot more complacent than you are you know. If you were looking after anything of mine I think I'd feel quite relaxed as it's quite clear you care a lot. :yesyes:

Aww thank you :)