PDA

View Full Version : Demanding tests but need your help please

MissSunshine
16-10-15, 09:16
I think the only way of dealing with this health anxiety is to get tested.

I was diagnosed with ibs about 5 years ago and lately it has gotten so bad.
In 2013 I was told I had hplyori so I was treated for that.

The past month my stomach has been so so sensitive and windy and hurts every day along with bad acid reflux and belly button pain and should pain (which I think is muscular)
I still have nausea and loose stools which change in colour but it's the wind that makes me the worst.
I just don't know what I can eat now.. I can't eat things that will trigger my acid reflux and I can't get things that will trigger my ibs.. I'm starting to think I'm intolerant to something.

I'm also getting painful ovulation and periods (not heavy)

So what I'm asking is what sort of tests shall I ask for to rule out any other potential causes? I've never had a X-ray Scan or blood test for my ibs but I think I need something to rule out anything.

Thank you in advance I have an appointment Monday

countrygirl
16-10-15, 10:39
Depends on your age. A basic pelvic utlrasound would give a good indication of your lady bits inside although ovulation pain would not show anything unless you had the scan when you are ovulating which is a chance in a million as the cause of ovulation pain is usually your ovary producing a little fluid cyst around the egg and when this burst it hurts for a few days.
As for your IBS if you are over 40 then a colonoscopy is the only real test to rule out abnormalities of the colon but if you are younger then its highly unlikely you would be offered this unless you have symptoms of inflamatory bowel disease.

Discuss your desire for tests with your Dr - don't demand tests as this will seriously offend the Dr!

Fishmanpa
16-10-15, 12:36
It's been my experience based on what I've learned of HA that getting tests for reassurance doesn't work or if it does, it's only for a short time until the fear resurfaces or another fear takes it's place. It's the nature of the dragon and can be seen daily on the boards.

That being said, if you're feeling that poorly, a visit to your GP would be in order. As has been said, if the doctor feels more tests are warranted, then so be it but otherwise, you're just perpetuating the HA cycle. In the mean time, keeping a food diary may help in identifying any triggers that are causing your current issues.

Positive thoughts

Lifelonganxiety!
16-10-15, 17:05
I agree with fishmanpa.

For sure if your doctor recommends a test then you should do it. But testing for HA sufferers only reinforces our anxiety.

It's a vicious cycle of "well if they want to run tests, there must be something wrong" followed up when they don't find anything with "they must have missed something" and then more tests are asked for.

Trust your doctor, and trust that there are many things that can go wrong with our bodies in a mild way (such as IBS) and that every ache or pain isn't serious.