PDA

View Full Version : Side Effects of Psychosis medication

ShaunRyder
16-10-15, 15:12
I am sorry if this is in the wrong place, I was not sure which forum post in as I do not know the name of the medication my brother is taking but I was sort of worrie about his health so I thought I would start here, please feel free to move to correct place :)

Ok so as some of you know by previous posts my brother was sectioned for a mental breakdown of Psychosis, he was released refused to take meds and went out got drunk had an episode and managed to get himself beat up, he had a broken cheek bone and bust lip.

So, now he is on his meds for a bout 3 weeks, since being on them they have made him feel tired and sometimes he has sort of slurred speech, he can put a sentence together but 1 or 2 words you may miss as he doesnt get them out properly, is his speech something to worry about or just because his meds are slowing him down as I know they are quite strong because of his illness? Plus still recovering from his attack so maybe cause of that? Or are his meds making him ill with a bad side effect?

MyNameIsTerry
16-10-15, 23:25
It's hard to say without knowing which med. Some meds do list slurred speech but without being able to check there is no way to determine if these are normal or transient side effects or ones they recommend flagging to your doctor. So, if you could find out, you could check on Drugs.com.

Failing that, or instead of, its it possible to raise this issue with the mental health team handling his care so they can investigate it for you?

How is be doing otherwise? Is he much calmer now?

ShaunRyder
02-11-15, 10:28
Hi thanks for the reply and sorry for the slow reply back.

Yes thank you, he is calm and showing no signs of any psychosis whatever so ever, sticking to his recovery plan giving by the doctors. The only thing is he has no motivation and he has been diagnosed with depression but has been told it is normal to feel that way after what he has been through.

swgrl09
02-11-15, 17:20
It can happen with some antipsychotic medications. It's important to make the doctor aware so they can either adjust the dose or sometimes they add something to counter that effect.

Glad he isn't psychotic anymore - that's most important!