PDA

View Full Version : is buspar discontinued?

rachelkookoo
16-10-15, 20:57
reading a few different things but I'm so confused!!

is it discontinued? is there a generic which is available? any information would help!

MyNameIsTerry
27-10-15, 05:43
See this granting of marketing licence for Buspirone which suggests it is still available in the UK:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/par/documents/websiteresources/con533564.pdf&ved=0CB0QFjABahUKEwjk682E6uHIAhVEthoKHXXzBSM&usg=AFQjCNHU5I8ltKEA994_YKob2O9AZKRVhg

ricardo
27-10-15, 08:10
I concur, it is still available.

pulisa
27-10-15, 09:48
I'm going to ask for it for my daughter this morning. Will report back on availability at my surgery.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

Thanks very much for the info, Terry and Ricardo.

pulisa
27-10-15, 14:02
The GP refused to prescribe it. She said it was an old medication which needed to be heavily supervised by a psychiatrist...

I should have asked for some Xanax to really wind her up but she was well out of her depth anyway. Got some more diazepam and we wait it out for the Panel's verdict on the Maudsley referral next Monday..

MyNameIsTerry
27-10-15, 23:54
And yet she dishes out Diazepam? :doh:

When I had first my breakdown pulisa my GP gave me some time to see if I recovered through time off work. When later I worsened he gave me Diazepam and Buspar. So, I can't understand your GP's decision.

swgrl09
28-10-15, 00:11
Buspar is prescribed all the time where I work, although different country. I can't understand the decision either.

MissyMischief
03-11-15, 02:16
Funny...my original GP prescribed Xanax, but said she wouldn't touch Buspar with a ten foot pole. She said it is highly addictive. But my new Dr. is against Xanax but readily prescribed Buspar.

I have no idea who or what to believe anymore.

swgrl09
03-11-15, 02:50
Xanax is a benzodiazepine and is highly addictive... Buspar has a low abuse risk.

MissyMischief
03-11-15, 05:02
Xanax is a benzodiazepine and is highly addictive... Buspar has a low abuse risk.

That's what I've read, too! I have no idea what my first GP was talking about.

MyNameIsTerry
03-11-15, 07:06
Buspar is very safe. The only documented abuse, as far as I know, is snorting the stuff for highs in prison.

Compared to Benzo's! Benzo's are such a high risk factor the UN added them to their Convention on Psychotropic Substances (1971) to force worldwide control of them! They are risky in the long term as people have found to their cost and are now considered a short term anxiety strategy or for acute occasions.

Buspar is licenced in different ways though. In the UK it is licenced for short term anxiety treatment. It's different in the US.

MissyMischief
03-11-15, 21:58
Buspar is licenced in different ways though. In the UK it is licenced for short term anxiety treatment. It's different in the US.

Why only short-term? Is it the same idea as beta blockers, maybe?

MyNameIsTerry
04-11-15, 08:01
Why only short-term? Is it the same idea as beta blockers, maybe?

It lacks evidence so NICE (our clinical excellence body) won't endorse it for treatment of anxiety. So, I guess the NHS have decided that based on it's low abuse & side effect profile, it's worth trying otherwise it's Benzo's in the short term. so, I guess it is the same as beta-blockers.

ricardo
04-11-15, 09:37
Oh dear I must be the odd one out. After careful consideration by Dr Brain :) the local NHS psychiatrist and two GP's in my Practice it was decided that I remain on 2 to 3 mg of Xanax as though it wasn't very effective anymore after which was 8 years, now 10, it would be dangerous to ween me off as all and I mean all anti depressants have never helped me the slightest just given my horrendous side effects. This goes completely against the trend and I get 180 x .50mg at a time as a private NHS prescription.

This isn't a great situation as I can't up the dose nor do I want to but I still get a little relief if I take 1mg at a time.

I asked about Busper which I have been on but in Spain and my GP said he doesn't prescribe it very often but it is still available.