PDA

View Full Version : Amoxicillin?

Shauni09
17-10-15, 13:04
Hi,

So last night I was prescribed 500mg of amoxicillin for a dental infection. I have an extreme fear of trying new medication. I was wondering if anyone here has ever taken it and what side effects I'm likely to have. Side effects are my biggest worry along with having a bad reaction to them. I obviously don't want the infection to get any worse as I'm in a lot of pain as it is, but at the same time my fear is telling me not to take them. I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm not allergic to penicillin and have had antibiotics in the past with zero problems. Also I haven't actually seen a dentist, just spoke to a dental nurse over the phone and she said it sounds like I do have an infection. Is it okay to take antibiotics even if there isn't an infection and its maybe just regular toothache? My health anxiety is going crazy :( Any help/advice would be appreciated so much :)

MyNameIsTerry
18-10-15, 07:11
I've taken it many times in my life and never had any side effects. I also took it for an infection due to a broken tooth at the height of my relapse so if anything was going to affect me, it would have then.

I take it they are writing you a prescription since you can't get it without one legally?

tommackent88
18-10-15, 17:53
Same here. I've had a few causes of amoxicillin on top of my regular meds and never had any side effects. If still in doubt, ask the dentist (if they don't already know about your anxiety/current meds)

venusbluejeans
18-10-15, 18:08
The only side affect you are likely to get is more trips to the toilet for 'number 2's'

Shauni09
19-10-15, 13:36
Thanks guys :) I took them and no side effects at all :)

ricardo
19-10-15, 14:06
Providing you are not allegic to penicillan you should be alright.It's a favourite anti biotic with dentists and the only side effect that I know of is the one venus aptly described.:)

lottie59
19-10-15, 14:47
shauni09

how is the dental infection did it clear up?

Shauni09
19-10-15, 17:06
shauni09

how is the dental infection did it clear up?

I think its starting to clear now. Barely any pain anymore and swelling has gone down so all good :)

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-15, 22:53
When I took it the pain went but within a few days it came back. My GP just prescribed a slightly longer course than my dentist did which did the trick. So, if that happens try not to worry about it and they will probably do the same.