PDA

View Full Version : Heartbeat in ear

Em.ma
17-10-15, 13:15
When I lie down on my side I can hear my heartbeat In my ear. It sounds exactly like a pulse and measures about 75bpm which is a normal resting heart rate for a human.
But I read this and now panicking What you are describing is called pulsatile tinnitus. Most often people complain of a whooshing or thumping sound, often in sync with one's heartbeat.

It is actually quite common. Often people will be aware of their heartbeat in their ear, similar to what you describe. Sometimes, another person can hear the noise by getting very close to your ear and listening carefully. Or your doctor can hear it with a stethoscope.

Usually pulsatile tinnitus is not a cause for concern, especially if it lasts just a short time. Similar to you, many people are more aware of it at night.

However, you should contact your doctor. High blood pressure, ear problems and an overactive thyroid gland can cause pulsatile tinnitus. On rare occasions, pulsatile tinnitus can be a symptom of an abnormality of the carotid artery.

Traceypo
17-10-15, 13:47
Here's an alternative ;Pulsing in the ear - anxiety symptom

Pulsing in the ear, throbbing sound:

Pulsing sound in the ear(s), ache or pain, shooting pains, heart-pulsing like sound, swishing, swirling, throbbing, or beating sound in or seemingly behind the ear. It can occur in one or both ears, and can randomly shift from ear to ear or from one ear to both ears.

This symptom might also feel as though your heart is beating in your ear.

Sometimes this symptom is diagnosed as Pulsatile (throbbing) tinnitus.

Stress and anxiety caused pulsing in the ear sound should NOT be considered a serious medical problem. Many people experience this symptom when stressed and/or overly anxious. In many cases, this symptom subsides on its own when stress and/or anxiety have been reduced and the body has had sufficient time to calm down and recover.

Xxc

countrygirl
17-10-15, 17:36
I developed pulsitile tinnitus in my left ear 8 years ago and have had it 24/7 ever since. I was given the carotid ultrasound plus a mri brain scan but no cause was ever found. The 24/7 noise is a whooshing sound but I also get mostly at night or in the morning the sound like someone banging a very quiet drum.

One reason I was given was that jaw joint problems can cause this because of its proximity to the ear and I certainly have tmj problems.

Em.ma
17-10-15, 21:55
Thanks.
I'm sure it's not anxiety as I remember this as a little girl.
I'm so scared I'll die suddenly now though :(

Glad no cause was ever found country

Traceypo
17-10-15, 22:12
Look at what you've just wrote hun, you remember it as a child but you believe you'll die suddenly from it. If this is something that has happened occasionally from being young, it's safe to say it hasn't killed you yet. Xxx

lofwyr
18-10-15, 07:32
It's a timely post for me I was about to come lament my Pulsatile tinnitus as it is keeping me awake tonight. I have had it before, and am under stress right now, and trying to sleep in a quiet room. And failing. The anxious mind makes it the rare and dangerous thing, and is good at ignoring the millions of people who deal with this with no issue what so ever.

Woosh woosh woosh goes my left ear. Do you others who suffer with it have it in one or both ears?

MyNameIsTerry
18-10-15, 08:03
I used to get this and it was only when I was at my really bad anxiety stages. The thing is, fight or flight increases our senses for a reason so bright lights can be harsher, sounds louder, etc.

I found this heartbeat issue went away as I started recovering. It very rarely appears now. For me, this just reinforced my belief it was heightened senses.