PDA

View Full Version : Worried about mold and ill effects

laurenmk
17-10-15, 23:35
My apartment has a closet that houses a ton of pipes and mechanical pieces, as well as the washer/dryer (it's all one machine here in London). The walls of the closet are drywall and the floor is tile. I've noticed sometimes when I unload my clothes that the grout on part of the floor is wet but it was never standing water that I could tell and I chalked it up to a tiny leak from the W/D. I made it a point to clean out the trap after each load (I have lots of thick hair). Well, tonight, the tile was wet again, and then I noticed water leaking onto the wall from a few of the pipes. I don't know if this has happened before and I only noticed the tile dampness, or if tonight is the first time. Either way, there are water stains (about 2 inches in diameter) on the wall in a few different places. Then I saw that the baseboard is coming away from the wall and there are a few black spots on that (can't get close enough to know if it's mold, dirt, just the darkness of the space between the baseboard and the wall, etc.)

I am going to refrain from doing anymore laundry until I can have someone from the building come take a look this week, but in the meantime I am freaking out about how dangerous it is to have water damage. I can't really open the windows, not only because it's cold, but because they don't use screens here and it makes me nervous that bugs/critters might come through. My fight or flight response is in hyperdrive right now. If I had any friends/family here I would be at there place tonight, but alas I don't. I am far enough along in my lease to be able to break it with just a month's notice. That's gone through my mind. I'm really spinning with worry! Any advice? Thank you!

AnnieMags
18-10-15, 00:27
I really don't think you have anything to worry about. While mold and damp is generally not healthy, yours is confined to your utility cupboard, and you simply don't spend enough time in there for there to be any concerns to your health. By all means have someone look at it and fix the small leak. Meanwhile get some mold&mildew spray and apply it where you see the black spots - they should soon disappear and you can do a more thorough permanent job once the leak is fixed and everything is dry.

To put things in perspective for you, we had a leaking roof that we did not know about. We finally noticed a damp smell and when we moved a bookcase in the bedroom, we discovered that the wall was absolutely black with thick mold. We had been sleeping there for goodness knows how long with the wall in this condition and my husband has asthma. He was absolutely fine and neither of us ever had any symptoms at all from this 'exposure'. I think you are absolutely safe in your flat - no need to move. :) Hugs from Annie

laurenmk
18-10-15, 18:06
Thanks, Annie. I really appreciate the feedback! I feel like I wouldn't be as concerned if I lived in a big house and was therefore far away from the closet most times, but of course I'm in a really small flat so that makes me nervous!