PDA

View Full Version : My Journey Back On Citalopram

Shyshy21
18-10-15, 05:50
Hello Everyone. I'm going to be starting a Citalopram Diary for myself, because I feel like it would be good for me.

A little information about me: I am young, 16 years old in fact. I suffer with Anxiety and Depression. I've been on many antidepressants but found that Citalopram was the one that definitely worked for me. Last year in November, I was started straight away on 20mg and went through the side effects and came out the other side perfect. I even went back to school after about 2 weeks. Eventually I don't really remember what happened, but after 6 months I had a little blip, maybe 20 mg started becoming less effective, or maybe it was really effective of my anxiety, so my doctor upped it to 30 mg. I was great after that. Then nearing summer, I had a checkup with my Doctor and he said my sister (who is 11 at the moment) and I could taper off of our antidepressants and see how we are and we can go back on if it didn't work out. My sister has different problems than me, as in OCD, Reactive Attachment Disorder, and we both have anxiety, but she does not have panic attacks. Anyways, As we got off, we both just gradually got worse. My sister's OCD started getting worse and she was stepping on every line she could find, like stepping on each side of a squared rug, and she had worsening anxiety, but her anxiety is generally just worries, and crying about them. I gradually grew more depressed, Depressed than I've ever been. At first I of course went through my med withdrawals. I tapered pretty fast too, but my doctor told me a tapering schedule that he thought would be good enough. Taper over 3 weeks and be off. I thought that was way too fast, so I took about 2-3 weeks in between 20mg and 10mg and one day I forgot to take my 10 mg so I thought "Oh well, I guess I'm off of it now!" and so I knew I was bound to go through withdrawals, so I did, and It wasn't very pleasing, but I got through it fine. I then started getting irritable easily, and crying more easily. But it was crying of frustration and only lasted about 5 minutes. Then after that, is when I started going downhill and getting depressed. I was crying a lot, and I Do not consider myself a suicidal person, but I was generally feeling like I didn't want to live. I had a 2 week period where I slept and stayed on the couch and didn't really move, I was scared to sleep alone in my room, but for some reason felt comfortable sleeping on the couch. I lost my appetite big time, and felt like I was starting to get dehydrated, and that shot up my anxiety, as back in 2013, I became severely dehydrated, and had my first panic attack, and was hospitalized and from there on, I've needed treatment for my anxiety and depression. Anyways, then I became I little better again, and was moving around more, and my appetite came back. But I still wasn't really okay. In September when school started for me, I couldn't go. (Also before school started for everyone here, Just to let you know in case you were wondering, My sister went back on her antidepressant, and she takes Fluoxetine. She is doing great again, back to her old self.) My sister had a doctor's appointment, and we both share the same doctor, so my parents told the doctor how I was doing and he wanted me to go immediately back on my meds, and go straight back on 30 mg!!! I was terrified and scared and I refused to take it all the way until a few days ago, to get back on Citalopram. We got a new doctor/therapist which we talk over Skype at the building for our mental health services called Lifeways. But we saw her in person at the beginning of October, and she saw my sister and I and my sister was doing good, but I was still not. She told me that she could see I had a lot of trauma, and I needed to get back on them or I would not get better and if I didn't take it, they would send me to a mental health facility where people would force me to take it. My depression and Anxiety have taken over, and I did not want to start back up on my pill. But she made me feel better about it and she called in a new prescription of more pills for me, and said to start on 10mg for one week, 20 mg the second week, and then finally 30 mg the third week. I agreed and we went home, but after that, I still did not take my pill. This Friday, We had another appointment just for me, to see how I was doing. But I still didn't take my pill, and I freaked out and all I could think was, "They're going to send me away. This is it." I do not think that would help because I get anxiety not being comfortable. So being away from my family, and in a place I was not familiar with, and also starting up on my meds again, would definitely shoot my anxiety through the roof. So we went, I got scared and brought the pill and my water bottle in the truck there. We talked for a bit and she asked if we had the pill with us and we said yes, so we got it and it took about 5 or more minutes for me to take it, because I was really scared and having anxiety about taking it, terrified of side effects. So I finally took it, and they cheered at me, but I was crying more, having more anxiety. After that, my grandpa bought me some bananas, and a donut, just to try to eat something, because my appetite has not been well lately. (Sorry this is so long, I always put too many details into my stories.) So,

Day 1
My grandpa had to take his friend to get his new truck at a car lot. So I went with, because I did not want to be alone at home. I went along, and listened to a new album from a band I really like, the whole time. But I started feeling spaced out, and tired, and started yawning a lot. I felt oddly calm. Tried to eat a bit, but didn't eat a lot. Later, we went to pick up my sister from school, and for some reason, I felt a tiny bit optimistic, like things were going to get better. It didn't really last long, as it was only day one. Later that night, we went to a restaurant, and when walking, my leg muscles felt shakey, and I felt like I couldn't stand properly, but it wasn't really a big deal. Ate a bit of fries, not all of them like I usually would, generally felt spaced out but still talking a lot with my grandma.( I have depersonalization, and so I felt a lot of that, and it scares me, but I try my best to keep calm.) After that, we went to my school's homecoming football game, and there were a lot of people there. I sat with my family, and soon the bleachers got packed and I don't think I would've been able to get out. I was fine, but had a lot of depersonalization, and hated it. My friends were there, texting me telling me to hangout with them, and I did want to, but couldn't figure a way to get out, so I had my friends go under the bleachers and find me and I slipped under them and made one of my friends catch me :roflmao: and we went and sat somewhere else and talked, laughed, and took pictures together until the game was over. Then we all went home, and I felt okay, went to bed and slept great until I randomly woke up at 6 am and didn't think I could get back to sleep, so I lied in bed on my phone for awhile and (embarassingly) had the runs! It wasn't that bad, came back to bed, decided I was still tired, slept for a few more hours until I woke up again at 9 am.

Day 2
Finally at 10 am, I got up and was in a fairly happy mood, and took my pill. A while after I took it I could feel it moving around in my head, and it kinda gave me a small migrane, but after awhile it went away. I didn't really do much today, just lounged around. Been pretty okay all day. Then later at about 7 pm, I got some depersonalization, and it raised my anxiety. I had the hot flashes starting in my shoulders and I took a deep breath and went into my room and drank some water and decided to play my game to distract myself from my anxiety and It kinda worked. A Thing I started doing was writing my worries of the day on a sticky note, and today's worry is the dreaded going up to 20mg. I'm feeling pretty tired right now, it is 9 pm almost 10. Tomorrow my family and I are suppose to go do fun things like going to the pumpkin patch, and going to a park that has a duck pond and taking the dog. I'm looking forward to that. Will update tomorrow.
If you're still reading to this point of the post, you're pretty cool, and a big thank you for listening to my too many detailed rambling. :yesyes:

LexiconDevil
19-10-15, 00:11
Keep me posted on your progress. I recently restarted my Cit as well and have had some ups and downs along the way. I've been keeping a journal as well but have been doing it the old fashioned way in a notebook. :shades:

Shyshy21
19-10-15, 04:35
Thanks LexiconDevil, I will. :)
Day 3
I didn't sleep very well last night. I kept waking up and checking the time and going back to sleep. I did wake up at 5 almost 6 am and felt a bit sick, but that was just the deep hunger pangs my stomach is doing to get me to eat, but I just drank some water. got the runs again :ohmy:, went back to sleep for a few more hours and finally woke up at 9 am stayed in bed until 10. Got up and took my pill, didn't feel weird after taking my pill this morning so I guess my brain is getting used to it. Today was very gloomy looking, dark stormy clouds. It kind of brought down my mood, but autumn has started, so it is expected. I didn't really do anything all morning, just lounged around, watched some tv. I took a shower this afternoon, did feel a bit anxious in the shower, but I got through it. I dolled myself up today too, makeup, curled my hair, while on facetime with my friend and had lots of laughs. A week ago, I don't think I would've had motivation to do that. We went to a pumpkin patch today, and got 7 pumpkins! It was really fun, no anxious thoughts at all there. After that we had stopped for dinner at a McDonald's and as we walked it, there were lots of people waiting in line for their food and I instantly started feeling a little anxious and I asked my parents if we could eat outside and they said no, so I just ran and found a table and sat at it and distracted myself with my phone. I guess I felt really claustrophobic in there. I got some water and kept drinking it, and I had a feeling like my throat was closing up and it started freaking me out but I calmed myself down by drinking more water. Then our food came, and I ate a bunch of fries, which I was surprised because I haven't had much of an appetite the past few days. Got home, and I facetimed my friend again and for some reason I felt oddly tired, and I kept yawning a lot. I was crying lol. I decided to get up and do stuff because I didn't want to fall asleep early. I have a schedule of when I'm suppose to sleep and wake up and my anxiety gets going if I'm not into routine, so I'm keeping myself up until 10 or 11 pm. I hope I sleep good tonight. I have not had any vivid dreams yet, as I usually did, but I guess I'm still on a small dose. I'd say today was a pretty good day. I have not cried since the day I started cit again. :D

Shyshy21
20-10-15, 16:37
Day 4
I lounged around today too but around 6 pm I got myself ready and I went and hung out with my friends for a bit and it was really fun. No anxiousness hanging out with them. And I've even been gaining my appetite back slowly! It's so great! I've probably lost 10 pounds since I stopped cit, but that's only because the depression took over and I lost my appetite. It was a really good night, I fell asleep good, stayed asleep good. Can't wait to get even better on 20 mg, I need to get back to school soon. :)

Shyshy21
21-10-15, 05:13
Day 5
I slept well last night. And I didn't have the tv on! That's usually a surprise because I keep the tv on with the volume down low, and some string lights on and I only had the string lights on. Slept perfectly. Woke up at about 7, stayed up and took my pill at about 9:30 am. Mostly lounged around this morning. Then at 11 I got a little tired so I decided to take a nap and I woke up at 1 pm! Usually my anxiety wouldn't allow me to take a nap during the day. So that's a smallish improvement. Later I went and hung out with a friend and got a little depersonalization and got a little anxious but I controlled it. I walked home, and started feeling a little wobbly and it scared me but I kept on until I got home. Felt okay for the rest of the day, I ate dinner, and I ate as much as I usually would. I'm loving my appetite back! but tonight I'm sort of feeling a little down and somewhat anxious. It may just be a blip, but there's only 2 more days left of 10 mg. Friday I go up to 20 mg. I really hope I feel much better on 20 mg. not really loving the depersonalization I get. It tends to set off my anxiety. Will update again tomorrow.

Shyshy21
22-10-15, 18:09
Day 6
Was pretty okay day. Didn't really do anything though. I felt kinda down and anxious towards the evening and had a little cry but had a talk with my grandma that made me feel better. Facetimed my friend before bed last night which also made me feel better.