PDA

View Full Version : calor gas heater concern

gregcool
18-10-15, 13:17
Hi guys.im planing on getting a calor gas heater for the winter months but im paranoid about the fumes in my flat.iv read you have to have windows open,how does that work if you have the calor gas on but have windows open ? Surley you loose the heat.im worried ill kill myself with the Co fumes..any ideas how it all works and is it worth getting one...thanks

Elen
18-10-15, 14:21
Hi Greg

I use a calor gas heater and have windows closed.

I am assuming for safety's sake you should have a carbon monoxide monitor but the supplier should be able to advise.

I find them very economical, the only downside is gas tends to lead to condensation.

For heating a room on a budget they are great and I would be lost without mine.

Elen

Rennie1989
18-10-15, 16:01
If you're concerned about carbon monoxide then I would instal a carbon monoxide alarm. Otherwise, they are very safe and would be negligent of the company and installer if they emitted harmful gases.

gregcool
18-10-15, 16:23
Thanks guys.i have a co2 alarm in my kitchen on top of the cuboard so that should do the trick

MyNameIsTerry
19-10-15, 04:49
It's often about the size of the rooms heaters are in as they need a certain amount of oxygen to prevent the inbalance to unhealthy levels. There are loads of guides around for this if you Google. MoneySavingExpert.com have a board for utilities and there will be information in the threads if you do some searches.

blue moon
19-10-15, 07:01
What is a calor heater?

gregcool
19-10-15, 10:11
Ok thanks terry.will have a look
Blue,it is a portable heater on wheels,you put a gas bottle in the back and you have three bars of gas heat on the front,so you can wheel it from room to room.instant heat

blue moon
20-10-15, 04:14
Thanks for that greg,I do not think I have ever seen one.

gregcool
20-10-15, 09:14
Well blue,they have been around for quite some time now,i thought everyone new what they are.lol

MyNameIsTerry
20-10-15, 09:39
Are there any legal considerations with your property being rented, Greg? Just wondering if the LL has to take it into consideration for the annual safety checking?

Magic
20-10-15, 12:33
I personally would not have one of the gas bottle heaters.
I think you should ask about having one from your Landlord Greg x

swgrl09
20-10-15, 17:04
I'd never heard of them either. What about an electric with an auto shut off?

gregcool
20-10-15, 23:32
There perfectly safe,there used in thousands of home so i have read..electric ones are very excpencive to run..my landloard would not supply one as my flat is council...i have central heating but costs to much to run and i was adviced to get a portable heater..im going to give it ago.there supose to be very cheep to run and give off good heat...most caravans have these kinds of heaters or built in ones,they all run on calor gas bottles so very safe

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

Not sure about that terry..i wpuld have thought many council tennents have these kinds of heaters..i had ine in my first flat years ago and remember my parents had one when i lived at home as a kid

Elen
21-10-15, 09:09
Greg I too have used these heaters all of my life.

I cannot afford to run central heating and it is the quickest and cheapest way I have found to heat a room up.

And you are correct caravans are heated by similar systems.

Tbh they are no different to a plumbed in gas fire, the only difference is the gas is coming from a cylinder and not the mains.

The cylinders are very safe and stand up to being thrown around, dropped, etc.

The only concern, as with all gas appliances, is the carbon monoxide and you already have that covered.

One wee tip, if you can afford it get two cylinders so that you always have gas on hand.

Do you have a supplier that will deliver to you?

I am currently debating getting a new heater, mine is over 20 years old and has a few niggling things wrong with it but it still keeps me nice and toasty as the nights are drawing in.

gregcool
21-10-15, 11:09
Elen.thanks for that ..yes he delivers for no extra charge..iv worked out if i have it on for 6 hrs a day,it should last a month...thats absaving of 20 per month.dsnt sound alot,but when you are on bennefits...cant wait to get my heater next week..he is going to give me a second bottle for free.i already have a bottle..so ill have two filled all the time

Elen
21-10-15, 13:15
That's an excellent deal Greg.

I doubt very much that you will need it on for 6 hours a day.

I usually have mine on 1/3 heat for about an hour then I turn it right down or off.

My flat has no double glazing and very badly fitting windows so I am sure that yours will be better constructed and therefore warmer.

Sounds like a toasty winter for you.

meche
21-10-15, 13:32
I had to have one of these for a few days in my house last year and although it kept my house very warm, I had to have the windows open just a little for ventilation. I found myself getting mild stuffy headaches for a few of those days & was glad to see the back of it. I don't have central heating in my house but installed underfloor heating throughout instead and it's the best thing ever!! :yesyes: xx

gregcool
21-10-15, 16:54
Hi meche..sad to hear you didnt have a good experiance with the heater..i know you need ventelation while they are on..my plan is to have it in my halway and have the front room door open to alow the heat to come through..iv read some very good review about them as long as you use them properly...most caravans have calor heating and thousands of people use them through the winter months..iv ordered it now so no turning back...my central heating is amazing ..the moment i turn it on my flat is warm within min..but just costs to much to run so thought this heater will be much cheeper to run through the cold weeks...as long as you have a window open slightly is should all be fine....ill see how it goes..thanks for your imput..

MyNameIsTerry
21-10-15, 22:20
Can't you conserve energy by turning off some of your radiators so your central heating pumps less out?

gregcool
21-10-15, 22:22
Already do that terry..it cost 20 pounds a week for just having two rads on for 6 hrs a day and a bit longer at the weekends...

MyNameIsTerry
21-10-15, 22:43
Are you all electric any chance? Elec is far too expensive in this country.

gregcool
21-10-15, 23:00
No mate..gas central heating..warms up very quick but as soon as you turn it off,it gets cold very quick again..