PDA

View Full Version : Work and Anxiety Problem

Daaanz
18-10-15, 16:03
Hi Everyone,

I feel I am in a little bit of a dilemma and I would really like some advice!

I've been struggling with panic attacks and anxiety very badly for the last 8 months at work. I usually have very bad anxiety before work, sometimes I'll have a panic attack if I'm really dreading going. The anxiety carries on very badly throughout the day and often I'll have a panic attack at least 3 times a week.

I don't get panic attacks very often outside of work, the only other time I've had them is in very busy shopping centres. However I know that work is the cause of my anxiety, this is where it started and where it continues to happen. The people I work with are so nasty towards each other, everyone is always discussing how much they hate the work and the management are very rude and give no support. Being there I always feel on edge and most days I feel like I just cannot carry on any more, as much as I wish I could just quit, I know I can't.

Now my dilemma is, I've been looking for new jobs as like I have already mentioned, I believe that workplace is the main cause, I never suffered previously and I just want it to stop. I've got a couple of interviews coming up - I know I don't already have a new job to go to but I've been thinking... My team leader is also my best friend, she knows all about my anxiety and she will do whatever she can (management allowing) to help me. I've discussed leaving with her and she does not want me to go, but she has also said that she knows I need to do what is best for myself. My problem is that, if I leave and go somewhere else, will I just feel exactly the same? If that were to happen, I wouldn't have my team leaders support and that scares me quite a bit, that I would be totally on my own. But I could go somewhere else and be perfectly fine? I know I will probably never find the perfect job, where everyone is totally happy - but surely I can find somewhere better than where I am and be happy myself?

Has anyone else experienced anxiety in the same way that I have? If you have, I would love to hear your stories/advice as I don't know what to do!

Thank you all so much in advance.

Randara
19-10-15, 00:12
Hi,

I've been going through a similar thing recently, my anxiety and panic attacks started in July and I've come to realise that a big part of it was to do with my job. I've had to take sick leave as a result and even though my contract ends in December I don't think I can last that long!

I think that it is very daunting to start a new job, especially after having such a rough time in your current one. If you don't try then you will never know, if you stay where you are then you could risk making your mental health even worse because you are so unhappy. It is not worth it. Don't worry about the "what if's" because they are not certainties.

Personally, I feel a lot happier with myself knowing that I can change my situation and that I will get a job somewhere else. Maybe that's because I know it is possible to work somewhere and be happy - I was in my last workplace for about 3 1/2 years and even though I was overworked and underpaid I was happy because the people I worked with were amazing. It was a big step for me to go from somewhere where I felt at home to a brand new job which turned into something I dreaded each day, but I don't regret it. It has taught me a lot about myself and what I am comfortable with and what I want to do.

I hope this helps in some way :)

Joe C
22-10-15, 00:46
I have had this problem in the past. Working in horrible environments is terrible for anxiety, it has been that bad I have sometimes literally told them to shove it and walked out, that being said, I'm a hairdresser so it is very easy for me to find another job. If your situation is that you have to work to pay rent or mortgage and it may take you time to find something else I would be very careful, if however you are in an easier situation (living with parents or partner has a good Job) I would get out. Lots of big companies are very mental health savvy these days, may be worth trying to get a job in that sort of environment x

Aimeee1994
27-10-15, 01:27
I went through exactly the same thing, I've had anxiety since the age of 14 but it wasn't until my first job at 17 that I started getting severe anxiety daily and the odd panic attack here and there as well. I worked in retail and had to deal with terrible managment, rude customers and employees that didn't seem to want to get to know me, one shift I ended up having a panic attack on the checkouts, I couldn't breath, hear or focus. Somehow I managed to get to the end of my shift and when I got home I made my mum call them to tell them I quit and wouldn't be returning, I was so ashamed and embarrassed.

After being unemployed for three months I got another job in retail, it was a much better environment, the managment was great and I was friends with all the employees, unfortunately after 6 months working there my work anxiety returned and I reluctantly handed in my notice a few months later.

I've now come to realise Retail is not for me and I think that a lot of people that suffer with anxiety would agree, you didn't say whether you worked in retail but whatever industry you're in have you considered a different work environment? Maybe cleaning, office work, working with animals, working from home? I think somewhere where you aren't around so many people or you have your own space is a much better environment to be in for anxiety sufferers, I've been lucky enough to be able to work in the social media industry from home and by taking myself out of the stressful environment I've been able to focus on learning how to cope with my anxiety on a day to day basis.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, remember your health is what's most important, I hope you feel better soon!