PDA

View Full Version : smear test. reassurance please

miss diagnosis
14-02-07, 19:34
Hi
after my many posts about my cervical cancer obsession i finally went for a smear test today. My doctor said everything looked fine up there
as i had been complaing about recuurent thrush. She said nothing was inflammed i had only a small bit of discharge and it didnt look like anything serious.Why dont i believe her!!!
Also is it normal to bleed a small bit after getting this done. Doctor said it was and not to worry but yet again I dont beleive her.

HELP!!!!!!

lass
14-02-07, 20:05
Yes, sounds like you're fine! The doctor I work for writes on the notes (bled on contact) - this happens lots and it's nothing to worry about. It's like any other part of your body really - nose, gums, whatever, a little bleeding on contact is harmless!

Also, lots of people have thrush and some are sent away to clear it up if it's really heavy, as it can result in an adequate smear. So if your doctor was able to take the smear, then you are just fine!

Try not to spend the next few weeks worrying about your result, and be very proud of yourself that you've gone and had this done. Hopefully very soon all your worries will be over.

Caroline
xx

lass
14-02-07, 20:08
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Also, lots of people have thrush and some are sent away to clear it up if it's really heavy, as it can result in an adequate smear. So if your doctor was able to take the smear, then you are just fine!</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Sorry, I meant INadequate smear!

peach
14-02-07, 20:09
i used ti get thrush all the time untill my auntie told me to stop using soap 'down there'. that was 10 years ago, i listened to her, and i have never had thrush since....

as for the smear- you will be fine im sure, just remember that your doc has done this countless times b4 and knows what shes doing, also, shes been educated medically, so i would listen to her opinion- i know its hard though!

btw- good on you for having gone and had it done!!!! im very proud!

Angelcake
14-02-07, 20:19
Hi,

I'm not medically trained but I work as a sexual health educator so I know a fair bit about 'downstairs' parts!!

Well done for having your smear - they're not pleasant at the best of times, but less so when you have constant fears...

Don't worry about anything that the doctor said - it all sounds perfectly normal and healthy to me. EVERY woman has discharge, this is just the bodies way of cleaning itself - very clever really. Some women have more than others - but everyone has it.

Recurring thrush is actually very very common in women - nothing harmful, just very uncomfortable and annoying. Thrush as it is, won't be masking or be a sign of anything more sinister. You can either grin and bear it - or make a fuss for treatments. As Peach mentioned, things like soap, shower gel, washing powers, tight trousers and sexual intercourse can all irritate and exasberate thrush. Different things seem to affect different people - but I'm sure you already knew all of this :)

And finally - YES - its perfectly normal to bleed a little after a smear - its just that its all quite sensitive up there and sometimes things get a bit irritated for a couple of hours - I would guess you'd be fine tomorrow.

Hope this helps with your fears- I'm sure you are absolutely FINE!!
Take Care and feel free to PM me...

Sarah

Angelcake
14-02-07, 20:21
Hi,

I'm not medically trained but I work as a sexual health educator so I know a fair bit about 'downstairs' parts!!

Well done for having your smear - they're not pleasant at the best of times, but less so when you have constant fears...

Don't worry about anything that the doctor said - it all sounds perfectly normal and healthy to me. EVERY woman has discharge, this is just the bodies way of cleaning itself - very clever really. Some women have more than others - but everyone has it.

Recurring thrush is actually very very common in women - nothing harmful, just very uncomfortable and annoying. Thrush as it is, won't be masking or be a sign of anything more sinister. You can either grin and bear it - or make a fuss for treatments. As Peach mentioned, things like soap, shower gel, washing powers, tight trousers and sexual intercourse can all irritate and exasberate thrush. Different things seem to affect different people - but I'm sure you already knew all of this :)

And finally - YES - its perfectly normal to bleed a little after a smear - its just that its all quite sensitive up there and sometimes things get a bit irritated for a couple of hours - I would guess you'd be fine tomorrow.

Hope this helps with your fears- I'm sure you are absolutely FINE!!
Take Care and feel free to PM me...

Sarah

mandie
15-02-07, 12:37
Hi

Just to let you know that i bled after having my smear. It lasted for a few hours and i was worried but the nurse said it was quite normal for some people to bleed

love m x

langlim
15-02-07, 17:05
hi there,

i recently had a follow up smear after an abnormal result a year ago.

I bled on contact during the smear, with the nurse said is normal, she said the cervix is very sensitive and the little brush they use is scraping the surface hence why sometimes it bleeds.
she showed me the list of bleed on contact and it was very common.

I had abnormal smear which was sorted out very quickly within a week, but my abnormal smear was the start of my anxiety ans panic.

please see attached link it is me
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=435792&in_page_id=1774

i am in a doocumentary for channel 4 @9pm 19th feb, i have gone through all the worry u have u may find by watching some reassurance!

Laura

tnt808
15-02-07, 17:59
I think that you should be concentrating more on the fact that you actually went and had the dreaded smear test!! You should be very proud of yourself hun.

Don't you start worrying about the small stuff right now. Bleeding after one is perfectly normal...and my advice would be to just relax, and be very proud of yourself for going!! Good Job

"Be The Change You Want To See In The World"...

Take Care of You,

Tina

bambamers
15-02-07, 21:34
hi,i think everyone else has reassured you that its normal to bleed.ive had abnormal smears and had to have lots of them.but honestly you will be fine.i just wanted to say well done for going and having it.x

Lola
16-02-07, 19:36
Hello!

Isn't it a great relief to have the smear over and done with? I always hate the build up before! :)

Don't worry about bleeding after... I have had this more than once. It is very common and nothing at all to worry about.

As for the discharge... It is also normal for a woman to have... the amount varies from woman to woman. Your doc knows what to look for... She would be able to tell if it was from yeast or infection.

As for cancer... getting smears regularly will prevent this from hapening. Take it from someone who had pre cancerous cells removed! They find them an zap them before they ever turn into cancer!

I know second guessing the doc is something we all do, but try not to fall into this trap.

Take care,
Lola

miss diagnosis
22-02-07, 12:55
thanks for all your kindness everyone. I called the clinic this morning and they said the swab tests I got done were clear and now im all worried.I know this sounds ridiculus but if i dont have thrush or BV It must be cancer causing my discharge? even though the doc said i would have way more symptoms and that my cervix looked fine?!!!!

Swarbs79
28-02-07, 15:32
Hi miss diagnosis

I had to reply since I know exactly what you’re going through. I too am totally obsessed with the thought that I have cervical cancer. Sometimes I don’t think about it at all and at other times it completely consumes me.

I hadn’t had a smear test for 7 years until I plucked up the courage to have one last week. The last one I had 7 years ago was fine but 6 months before that I had a borderline result. The nurse last week said I should have been having them yearly until I’d had 5 clear results so as you can imagine that has made me feel worse! No one ever told me that at the time. I think I got a reminder 3 years later but for various reasons I didn’t go for a test and then it got so late that I was too scared to go. I don’t have any symptoms, I just become obsessed with what’s going on down there and I know I’m sensitive in that area anyway, I sometimes get little tears but the doctor has looked at them twice and said its nothing to worry about and just given me some cream. Can’t believe I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the results, its horrible.

At the moment I’m actually okay, a lot is going on in my life to take my mind off it and I think that’s what made me strong enough to finally pluck up the courage to go for the test. I tend to have episodes that last a week or two when I feel very very anxious and it’s awful. Just wanted to let you know that you’re not the only one!