PDA

View Full Version : MRI results tomorrow, am I overanalysing?

tlm23
20-10-15, 11:52
I was recently referred for an MRI by my ophthalmologist because my optic nerves were enlarged. I've been full of anxiety, unable to concentrate and making myself sick with worry ever since I heard about the referral.

I was told I'd receive results in one week, but I didn't hear anything. Today I rang up my ophthalmologist's secretary and she said they had received the results, but the doctor wasn't in today. She said she'd give them to him tomorrow to look at, and would be in touch with me by telephone afterwards.

Of course my irrational brain has overanalysed this entire situation and I've convinced myself that she's giving me a personal call, rather than sending a letter as usual, because something was flagged as wrong.

My question: if something life threatening had shown on the scan (like a tumour), would the results have simply gone to the ophthalmologist to review at his leisure? Anyone have any insights into how the process works at most hospitals?

Iblametheparents
20-10-15, 15:50
Is your ophthalmologist in the hospital or in the community? Private practice or NHS?
If in the hospital the MRI report would be on the PACS system. Even if the secretary had access to this, she would have no business reading the report and would theoretically be in deep shit if she did. Information governance.
If the secretary received a letter with the results, it might depend on whether she's allowed to open the letter or not. Even if she is, she'd be unwise and unprofessional to get into any discussion with you about your diagnosis, whatever it turned out to be. Imagine you started bombarding her with questions? Not fair on either of you.
I know it's hard. One thing that you might want to bear in mind is, if the MRI has an abnormal finding, it would usually be flagged up and the report sent back a bit quicker. In theory.
Do you have to go in for your results or have you agreed with them to receive them by phone? Always best to agree on this point in advance! Good luck!

tlm23
20-10-15, 17:12
Thanks for your response. The ophthalmologist is in the same hospital as the MRI department and I am using NHS. I'm assuming this means that someone has already looked at my scans and analysed them before the ophthalmologist received a report? So theoretically, if something life threatening were found, someone would have contacted me already? It seems strange to me that if they had found a brain tumour or something of that nature, that they would send my brain scans to an ophthalmologist (who is not an expert on the brain) and that he would be taking his time to look at them.

The secretary agreed to call me tomorrow after she speaks with the ophthalmologist about my results. Before my MRI took place, the ophthalmologist wrote to neurology and asked them to take over my case (but never mentioned this during my appointment). Neurology has given me an appointment, but not for a few months. The appointment letter came as a surprise and I've called both departments to understand why I have one, but no one I've asked in either department could give me an answer....

Iblametheparents
20-10-15, 17:26
The radiologist writes the report and this goes to the referring surgeon or physician, in your case the ophthalmologist. S/he can also view the images on screen. Although not a brain expert, he's not far off! The eyes are part of the nervous system after all. So there's nothing strange about the results going to the doctor who referred you.

Im interested, why were you under the ophthalmologist? How did you found out your optic nerves were enlarged?

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

And just to clarify, no, a radiologist would never contact someone else's patient with results. career suicide!

tlm23
20-10-15, 21:07
Hmmm interesting. I guess I shouldn't be feeling too confident that the results are fine then :(.

I was referred to the ophthalmologist by my optician during a routine exam because she thought my optic discs looked a little fuzzy in her photographs. They took more photographs and did an ultrasound at the hospital, and then sent me for an MRI to see if I have any intracranial pressure. I have no symptoms whatsoever, so this entire experience feelings very confusing and stressful.

lofwyr
20-10-15, 21:11
I have a friend who just had a tumor removed from his optic nerve area. The tumor was benign, but he had all sorts of symptoms. His optometrist caught it, but it was very obvious to him. I imagine it would be very obvious to yours too.

While I am not sure how it works in England, over here, it moved very quickly from the exam. He was on the operating table less than 24 hours after his eye exam, and they did not waste time.

He is 100% fine now, by the way, and this was less than a month ago.

tlm23
20-10-15, 21:23
Interesting. Glad to hear your friend is okay.

My ophthalmologist said he didn't suspect a brain tumour because I had no other symptoms and just wanted me to have the scan to double check. He kept saying "I'm sure this is nothing." I'm not sure how much I trust that he was being honest with me, however. I've seen several doctors in this experience and it feels like each one just sees me as a chart instead of a person, and will say anything to get me out of their office.

Fishmanpa
20-10-15, 21:40
I'm not sure how much I trust that he was being honest with me,

In today's sue happy world, why would a doctor risk a lawsuit and his career by lying?

Positive thoughts