PDA

View Full Version : Wooshing pulse sound in left ear and anxiety venting

lofwyr
20-10-15, 20:59
I am away from home, and in a fairly stressful situation, so my attunement to the things that make me anxious is a bit amplified right now.

So, having had tinnitus in the past, I have a new kind, and only in my left ear. It pulses and flows with heart rate. I suspect it is related to blood flow because it changes based on head position, posture, and just generally feels like blood flow. It is a steady, rushing sound, amplified with each beat of my pulse. I am not overweight, have good blood pressure, eat a healthy diet, etc. which is not to say it couldn't be heart disease related, it just doesn't seem as likely.

I know many, many people deal with this, or something very close to it, and for the vast majority, it is something benign. I am 45, and not at my wits end, but I cannot seem to shake the feeling that this is something more than pulsatile tinnitus, or just a quirk, even though I have a history of tinnitus (mostly resulting from gunfire and some other noise exposure). My wife even gets this periodically. I know there are many, many causes for this, and like I said, most of them benign. I even posted in a thread about this a week or so ago on this forum.

I just wish I could shake the feeling that something sinister is going on, when it is almost certainly, "just one of those things." I have no other symptoms, aside from an annoying clicking noise at night in my other (right) ear when I am laying on my left side. Otherwise, I feel great. No headaches, no dizziness etc. I am away from medical care for a good month, so I need to make peace with this as what it likely is, anxiety, and learn to move on.

But every night at bed time, it is so quiet, and it is all I can hear. Which of course makes the anxiety worse. I am pretty much just venting at this point, so thanks for hearing me out. This forum really does help me be a bit more realistic about my issues with anxiety, and the very real symptoms that it can cause, and just putting them in this venue seems to help me let go of them a bit in a cathartic manner.

Wanderlust
20-10-15, 21:15
most cases point to pulsatile tinitus, i get something similar, although for me both ears, and more prominent when laying down and at night, each morning for a short period i hear my heartbeat in my ears, very disturbng as i have cardio anxieties, during the day it is a random whooshing.

Currently working on the old olive oil in the ears to see if a little less wax helps, as that can also be a cause.

Always worth checking out

lofwyr
20-10-15, 22:53
Interesting, as when I was younger I had horrendous earwax issues, to the point where only a doctor visit with those painful scrapers could keep them clean. I will ask the doc to look when I get my physical in a couple months.

Not sure how bad, or not bad it is right now, but in my youth it was really terrible.