PDA

View Full Version : so scared - blood pressure

laura442
21-10-15, 21:36
My CBT lady told me to take my blood pressure as I was worrying about strokes and heart attack i just bought a home blood pressure monitor and it was 132/75 and I am now crying and panicking as it is a bit high. I'm so scared.

Princess23
21-10-15, 21:51
That's not that high, doctor only starts to do anything when it's 140/90.. Did you sit quietly for at least 5 mins and breathe slowly before taking it... Do three in a row .. Honestly for your first reading at home that's good ��

laura442
21-10-15, 22:07
I did sit quietly for 5 mins but I was anxious, too scared to do it again.

2Anxious
21-10-15, 22:12
That's not even high though so what are you panicking about?

Fishmanpa
21-10-15, 22:14
Your diastolic is perfect (lower - less than 80 is normal) and your systolic is only slightly up. 100% due to anxiety.

Positive thoughts

Lifelonganxiety!
21-10-15, 22:39
That looks like good healthy normal blood pressure to me. SLIGHTLY elevated systolic due to stress, but I wouldn't be concerned by that at all!

daisyflower
22-10-15, 11:24
Wish my blood pressure was that low, haha!

Traceypo
22-10-15, 12:01
When I was on four hourly observations in hospital mine was slightly elevated at times when I was anxious, once I'd calmed down it was back to perfect levels. The hospital were totally unconcerned when it was slightly elevated. Xxx

countrygirl
22-10-15, 12:16
Millions of people would love to have blood pressure like that! What were you expecting it to be, I have a feeling you have some scewed idea about blood pressure levels:)

In the uk high blood pressure is only diagnosed if your readings are persistantly above 140/90. Plus you would need high blood pressure for a long time to do damage.

If you are young say 20 years old then ideal bp is 120/80.

If you now have a bp machine and want to use it properly, you need to take 3 readings 10 mins apart and take the average of them. If you do this twice a day in a week or so you will lose your fear of the machine as well.

Malcolm Lewis
27-10-15, 16:34
NOT too high. Look at NICE guidelines. Chat with your GP if worried, but I bet he won't treat you at that level.

You cannot worry about ONE reading, its multiple readings which are needed. Easily soved at the Drs by electronic halter monitoring.

I suffer from 'white coat' syndrome, so I know mine jumps as soon as I see a white coat. I am 60 now and still monitor my BP, and no real problems. I think you have nothing to worry about!!

Even if you did have hypertension, then millions live normal lives with it on medication and lifestyle changes. Its no big deal, as you are being sensible and getting medication to PROTECT you against problems, and that's the important thing.

Best of luck

Malcolm

frosty2901
27-10-15, 18:16
The thing is there are lots of factors that effect the reading the cuff not on correct etc that is not high at all my blood pressure was 230/140 3 years ago when I went to a&e thinking I was dieing now that was high if your worried next time you go to the docs ask if you can be put down for the 24 hour blood pressure monitor. That will put your mind to rest. I went to the docs the beginning of October for my 6 monthly blood pressure check and mine was 132/68 and she said that's absolutely fine x

damianjmcgrath
27-10-15, 19:37
Generally speaking, the first number is largely ignored, it's the second number that matters. If that is below 90, the doctors won't care. Looking at the post above, 68 is pretty epic. Makes me feel bad about my results!