PDA

View Full Version : Advice on stopping fear of night sweats?

Gregg_
22-10-15, 15:14
Hi guys.

So I posted in this forum a couple of months back, basically after a summer of hell.

It all started after I had a couple of tests after feeling unwell since a viral infection last summer. I got sent for blood tests and chest x-ra, which both came back fine. Then I got sent for a CT scan which accidentally found a (slightly) enlarged spleen. The doctor I saw at the time didn't seem too concerned and checked me for lumps and found none but sent me for multiple blood tests including FBC, ESR etc.

All tests came back fine, but then a separate doctor (this is the family one we've had for years) sent them to the haematologist. The doctor then contacted me saying "there's no concern, from a haematologist point of view, it's done"

So long story short,
my two lots of blood tests are fine, my chest x-ray was fine, my CT was fine (apart from enlarged spleen) a doctor, a haemotologist and a nurse has told me there's nothing to worry about.

However, the concern started when I googled (I know, lesson learned, never again) about enlarged spleens. Obviously lymphoma came up amongst other things and the one thing that really freaked me out was night sweats. I've noticed me sweating more regularly at night this year but they went away until this whole googling spleen business came about. Now I have them quite regular, but they're not every night. They're also not drenching. I have patches on my pyjama t-shirt. Last night I woke up with a couple and freaked out.

Obviously I've studied my pattern and these have started due to me being aware that drenching night sweats are bad. The thing is, I don't know how to get out of it. I was always under the impression that everyone sweated at night. I thought it was totally normal. Since July I haven't been able to get into bed and relax because of fear that I will wake up drenched and my anxiety will go through the roof and I'll fear I've got lymphoma again. I'm just desperate for them to go away so I can start enjoying my life and going to bed again. If anyone has any advice or reassurance, PLEASE share.

(PS. I must also point out I was then sent recently, just for study, for Liver Fibroscan. It came back I have slight fibrosis of the liver. Is this something that can affect the spleen?)

daisyflower
22-10-15, 18:25
Are your bed covers polyester? For some reason, I get night sweats if I don't have cotton bed linen

Gregg_
22-10-15, 22:45
They're cotton sheets daisyflower

daisyflower
22-10-15, 23:26
If it's any consolation, my brother gets night sweats all the time and he's as healthy as can be. Some people are just prone to them