PDA

View Full Version : First Week on Citalopram (and interactions with my Nexium)

DWest
22-10-15, 20:26
first of all, I want to say that I've been lurking this forum for the past week and it's been really great to keep my confidence up. No matter how hard it's gotten, It's been nice to browse through here and read up on people who are making it.

but with that said, it's certainly been a rough week. After a long time of dealing with terrible anxiety, I finally saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed the Citalopram. The first 2 days felt fine, but day 3 hit me with a nasty cocktail of side effects. Cold sweats, dizzy, tremors, feeling hot all over and feeling my heart race. It was awful.
The side effects have decreased as the days have gone by, and I was even able to go to work yesterday without much problem (I pretty much stayed in bed for a good 2 or 3 days)

However...

I've been noticing that every time I take my Nexium for my acid reflux, I'd suddenly get hit with a wave of side effects again. That warmth, that tingling feeling again and something in my chest.
So I looked it up, and it turns out that Nexium or other antacids like it can DOUBLE the effect!

I was only meant to take half of a tablet (10mg) but all this time it's been more like 20mg from the start! It's no wonder I had such a bad reaction at first and why I'm still feeling some of those effects each day. I called up my pharmacist and he confirmed that was most likely what was going on. I asked if I should be concerned, but he said It's just that I've been on a strong dose though I should be okay.

so now I have some options
-take a quarter tablet
-take my nexium WAY WAY LATER in the day (i'd normally take it at lunchtime and my CT with breakfast)
-take a different antacid that works differently than the Nexium.

even though I may have been getting double, my body has still been adjusting. I don't know if I should try to cut it to a quarter if I've gotten used to half
(but it's more like the full dose because of the nexium, so what then :scared15: ?)

My psychiatrist is out until monday, so I can't ask for advice from him. I know I probably shouldn't be trying to look for it here either, but if anybody's had any experience with this kind of situation, I'd really like to hear about it.

I'm trying not to let myself get too panicked over it, especially because I've been feeling pretty good lately, save for when I take the nexium. I'm a little afraid that If I go lower, I won't feel as good anymore.

But I digress...
I'm glad to finally be getting help and that there's a place for the support like this that I can come to and help get me through this :D