PDA

View Full Version : becoming better.

another_adam
17-09-04, 01:41
I managed to get my life back on track after having generalized anxiety/panic attacks last year, from various things.. working enviroment, drug experimentation and seeing a counseller, which brought up bad experiances i had supressed.

Im not sure if this is normal but about 3 weeks beforehand i suffered from a spaced out feeling all the time, which i think now was my mind telling me to take sometime out and recover from the stress. Saw doctor he did'nt have a clue what it was, so if anyone have spaced out feelings, for godsake take some time out! and don't carry on doing whatever you were doing, like i did.

Anyway after the 3 weeks i was worrying most of the time about death and that my heart was going stop beating and had heart palpatations, began taking ssri meds which took 2 weeks to start working properly, during that time i found pacing up and down the garden was the
best way to calm down whenever i felt attacks coming on.

I went back to work after 3 monthes just the evenings and took ssri's until about march 04 went down to half dosage for about 3 monthes
had a few withdrawal symptoms dizzyness, spaced out, light anxiety returned. I should off tapered off them slower than i did
http://bipolar.about.com/cs/antidep/a/0207_ssridisc2.htm

After finishing with the meds, i found i still had anxiety on and off so i took st johns wort which luckily worked for me. Stopped work altogether in june 04, i could see now my health was still suffering from the enviorment, then started volunteer work with a wildlife trust and gradually getting better :).

The anxiety is still very much there under the surface, writing this is making me feel dizzy i guess anxiety from remembering how i was. Infact ill take a break and finish this later.

What i do, is ignore it, keep myself busy and tell myself theres nothing physically wrong with me and beleive it. If i still do feel anxiety, taking deep breathes and concentrating on the air entering and exiting my body helps, eating healthy going to the gym 3 times a week.

Also whats helped me alot is meditation, i've been reading about buddhism for a few monthes and its has gave me a different outlook
on life and i think more positively because of it.

my social anxiety is alot better, at worsed i just feel an awkwardness in some situations and no longer worry about things i've said or concentrate on negitive things.

thanks for reading my somewhat short story, hope it helps someone.:)

Adam

seh1980
17-09-04, 11:58
hello there Adam,

Wow!! You have such a positive outlook on things!! That's great. I wish I could be that positive all the time. You seem to be coping really well and not letting the anxiety cause you to have irrational fears. I think that's always difficult to do as when suffering from anxiety it's so easy to think that there is something seriously wrong with you!! Keep up the good work!!

Sarah :D

sal
17-09-04, 23:38
Hi Adam

Read your post and well done you.

Loads of luck hon you are doing so well.

Love Sal xxxxx

Meg
20-09-04, 14:55
Hi Adam

Thanks for sharing that with us. You've done very well..

Keep it going .

Meg