PDA

View Full Version : Frightened that I'll become resistant to antibiotics?

little.miss.worry
25-10-15, 17:56
Hey everyone.

To cut a long story short for the past, I'd say year, i've been on and off antibiotics for various things. My main reason is UTI's but in between i've had the odd ear infection but i've been on various antibiotics a lot in recent months. The last batch I had was about a week and half ago. And now, I seem to have a gum infection! I'm so tired of taking them all of the time. It's depressing.

My friend has really really scared me to be honest. Such as that i'm going to become resistant etc. I'm having a panic attack right now about it and if I go to the dentist tomorrow and he says i've got to have antibiotics it' sounds silly but i'll be scared to take them. I don't want to become resistant because I know it can be dangerous.

Am I just being silly? :weep:

Fishmanpa
25-10-15, 18:19

Yes. A bacteria can become resistant but not the person taking them. And before you go down that path, no, you don't have some new form of antibiotic resistant bacterial infection.

Positive thoughts

little.miss.worry
25-10-15, 18:32
Yes. A bacteria can become resistant but not the person taking them. And before you go down that path, no, you don't have some new form of antibiotic resistant bacterial infection.

Positive thoughts

I totally understand that. But I'm just frightened all these different bacteria will eventually be resistant..

And I wasn't gonna say I was, I was just worrying over what my friend said mainly

thanks for replying anyways :)

Fishmanpa
25-10-15, 19:52
I totally understand that. But I'm just frightened all these different bacteria will eventually be resistant..

thanks for replying anyways :)

You said...
i'm going to become resistant etc.... I don't want to become resistant ....

It's still silly to worry about that.

Positive thoughts anyways

MyNameIsTerry
26-10-15, 07:20
Medical bodies took the decision many years ago to stop GP's dishing antibiotics out like sweeties because it could cause them to become worthless as bacteria developed to beat them. People like WHO worked to cut it down and in the UK you certainly won't just be given antiobiotics unless you can;t beat the infection without it. There are NHS leaflets in surgeries and pharmacies explaining this. This keeps the risk of bacteria developing beyond antibiotics in the future.

BUT don't worry about this anyway because antibiotics are not the last line of defence. When I had many colds as a child it would always develop into a chest infection. I had courses of antibiotics and they wouldn't always do the job so I was put on courses of steroids quite a few times and these always worked.

little.miss.worry
27-10-15, 19:51
You said...

It's still silly to worry about that.

Positive thoughts anyways

Yeah, I knew what I meant by it. I meant the bacteria, I was writing it all in a hurry as I was in a panic at the time. Only way I could describe it. :)

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Medical bodies took the decision many years ago to stop GP's dishing antibiotics out like sweeties because it could cause them to become worthless as bacteria developed to beat them. People like WHO worked to cut it down and in the UK you certainly won't just be given antiobiotics unless you can;t beat the infection without it. There are NHS leaflets in surgeries and pharmacies explaining this. This keeps the risk of bacteria developing beyond antibiotics in the future.

BUT don't worry about this anyway because antibiotics are not the last line of defence. When I had many colds as a child it would always develop into a chest infection. I had courses of antibiotics and they wouldn't always do the job so I was put on courses of steroids quite a few times and these always worked.

Thanks for that info! :) That's very true. I just fret about it I guess. I might have a word with my doctor the next time I see them. Just to express my concerns and see what they say. I think from now on, i'm going to try my hardest to make sure antibiotics are the last resort. Because I can't keep taking them all the time. It surely isn't good on my body to be taken them as much as I have been for various things.

Thanks Terry! It's made me feel better. It's good to know there's always other options. :)