PDA

View Full Version : So scared of the c word..

stressedanxious
25-10-15, 19:33
I am terrified of it. On the news they have people dying of this all the time, and they always show on the news people who got diagnosed with it, and I am so scared. I just cannot stop being scared of this, I just cant stop thinking about it. I just don't know what to do, I just cant stop worrying :(

xhopex
25-10-15, 21:10
Same....I see it everywhere and convince myself it's a sign :weep:

Matt21
25-10-15, 21:26
It's not a nice word but the news also always brings up someone getting shot or a bad car accident. There is a lot of good in this world and people who fight and survive cancer, it's just you don't see or hear it enough.

I always used to worry about cancer and it's great to have awareness but try not to obsess. You don't want to be like me.

I am having some health concerns with my eye atm and I am really anxious, I keep checking for a solution online and it doesn't help. It just feeds my worry, all though I believe I got this disease and all the tests I am doing are showing I have it I still don't know for 100% until I go for further tests. But I actually feel less stressed now as I have given up looking as worry isn't going to help me.

Dolphin8808
26-10-15, 16:34
They say that has helped to increase anxiety in people, the constant in your face Cancer commercials, ads, centers etc., Its hard to get away from it. We are always reminded of it.

Iblametheparents
26-10-15, 16:42
^totally agree. All this advice to check this, check that is making nervous wrecks of us. Look at how many people are viewing the HA threads compared to the others?
The biggest risk factors for cancer are ageing and smoking. One of these can be avoided.
I think there is a problem with so called health promotion and infomercials. The focus is too much on what could go wrong instead of wellness!

Fishmanpa
26-10-15, 17:18
It's a matter of perception. There have always been a lot of cancer awareness ads in the media just as there have always been heart ads and drug ads, ads for life insurance, diets and exercise etc. When you're hyper aware of something due to a fear (like cancer), of course you'll notice it more.

And just the fact the OP calls it the "C word" affirms what I'm saying. I had "cancer" and yeah, it does suck but it's not a death sentence and can be treated. Heck, it may come back and get me or my heart may give out tomorrow or I could die in an auto accident or hit by lightning. Point being, live as opposed to live in fear.

Positive thoughts

Pepperpot
26-10-15, 17:40
Urrghhh it's everywhere. I read today that eating red meat and bacon and sausages and ham now gives you cancer - I am terrified!!!!

Fishmanpa
26-10-15, 17:48
Urrghhh it's everywhere. I read today that eating red meat and bacon and sausages and ham now gives you cancer - I am terrified!!!!

Bacon and sausage... yeah... read that too but they've been saying that for years. Is it any different than any other processed food? Artificial flavors, colors, preservatives etc.

PEOPLE... life in general can give you cancer! Of course common sense can help prevent it but if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen!

Now pass me the bacon and sausage!

Positive thoughts

Iblametheparents
26-10-15, 17:55
Lots you can do to reduce risk, but don't get too hung up on it - you gotta live!

Whenever I get a cancer-related fear I find a way to blame myself for it. I should never have smoked, drank, sunbathed, had sex.

I have a friend with breast cancer, younger than me. Very positive person, lives life to the full despite being stage 4. Here I am, cancer-free, restricting my life with unfounded fears. It makes me feel so guilty.

Nothing good ever comes of being a hypochondriac.

Fishmanpa
26-10-15, 18:19
So what the stats are saying is that in general, you have a 5% LIFETIME risk of developing some form of cancer. If you eat bacon and sausage, your risk goes to 6% LIFETIME risk.

Compared to smoking which increases your chances by 24X.

Positive thoughts

Pepperpot
26-10-15, 18:36
Bacon and sausage... yeah... read that too but they've been saying that for years. Is it any different than any other processed food? Artificial flavors, colors, preservatives etc.

PEOPLE... life in general can give you cancer! Of course common sense can help prevent it but if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen!

Now pass me the bacon and sausage!

Positive thoughts

It's the way it was headline on some news site today - it's the way they word it. x

MRS STRESS ED
26-10-15, 19:10
well its 50 /50 just by crossing a road :doh:try not to focus on it they are always telling us the risks of this that and the other ,I mean if we listened to everything they said we would never do anything ,they will be banging on about something else next week

white1989
27-10-15, 14:40
I'm terrified of it too, I probably think about it everyday! my day is usually ruined by reading an article on the daily mail about a young person getting diagnosed with cancer then convincing myself it'll be me. you're not alone xx

Matt21
27-10-15, 15:19
I just got back from walking the dog while listening to music and I actually feel better for it. I got a lot of concerns in my life atm and one of them is going blind. Just waiting to have more tests at the hospital done. Before that I was miserable and depressed anyway and it's awful living this way.

I have never taken time of sick with anxiety before but because my job has been so stressful as of late on top of my health and other matters. I had to make the choice to have some time off to deal with my worries. I know the worst thing I can do it sit in my room and read on the internet and obsess but I will make myself ill.

So I am making sure I go for walks or even to go the gym so I am around people and not at home feeling sorry for myself. I mean I wish someone could tell me everything is going to be alright and I am not going to lose my eyesight but they can't.I have been letting it effect my driving but I think that part is my anxiety more than anything.

In regards to cancer, I too have done my fair share of worrying for years about it. If I wasn't fixated on Macular Degeneration because I have all the symptoms of that with my eye right now I would be thinking this dark shadow that is effecting my vision could be eye cancer.

My advice is don't google anything because that made me worse, that's the worst thing to do and on Friday I wish I never looked now and just waited for more tests. Over checking feeds the anxiety more, I have been doing that by blinking with my eye for days and I know something is there so continuing to do it just makes me feel worse. I am not telling you not to check but just don't over do it. You will just make yourself feel worse.

If you're like me it's kinda hard to talk to anyone in my family about it as i have put them through so much over the years but keeping it in makes you feel worse. That's why this site is good because everyone is understanding what people are going through.

kellie39
27-10-15, 16:19
this is my biggest fear and at the minute it seems to be controlling my life, i seem to be waiting for aches and pains (or i have aches and pains) im constantly feeling for lumps and bumps at the min and getting myself in such a state, one minute something hurts and then the next it doesnt then im questioning if it hurts or not.
i really seem to be in such a negative place that i cant see rationally at all and everything is the dreaded C word.
i really wish i could get a grip on this at the min as it controlling my life.
i was ok about 10 days ago and then i had a ache and then it just spiraled from there.
please let this feeling go as quick as it came

TheMadOladCoger
27-10-15, 17:56
I fear Cancer have for a while now, I have a habit of messing with Lymph Nodes and checking them for example I have a couple of swollen ones at the moment but I also have a slight cold and I mess with the Lymph Nodes and worry even though there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for me to have the 5 slightly bigger Lymph Nodes.

For me it all started when I was stressed and something on the news said that 50% of the population would get Cancer. Of course this is incorrect and I believe it was corrected later on but I was worried sick and that with the Stress set me off on my endless worry began checking Lymph Nodes running to my Doctors with every lump so far had about 10 swollen nodes most still there due to me constantly messing with them, I'm still here and I hope that the ones in my neck will go soon so I can move on from them.

Peace

Iblametheparents
27-10-15, 18:10
I've imagined I've had every cancer out there at some point. I'm terribly vigilant. Bit embarrassing really. I have strict rules about what I bother the GP with and how long I wait before I go. Wouldn't want them thinking I'm mad.
Do you think they have a code or acronym for doc-botherers?

Dolphin8808
27-10-15, 18:14
And now the newest studies that lunch meats cause cancer... Its always something. And there are new huge cancer centers at the hospitals, or new ones being built. So much money and awareness, its much more so now then it was even 10 years ago. Social media makes it difficult because you are always seeing someone who lost someone to cancer etc., I hate saying this but I hate seeing it. It triggers my own fears.

Iblametheparents
27-10-15, 18:17
I love cured meat :weep:
I've got a stick of chorizo in the fridge. Imma gonna eat some now!

Fishmanpa
28-10-15, 01:18
Bacon, sausage and processed meats are more likely to cause heart issues than cancer IMO.

Positive thoughts

Iblametheparents
28-10-15, 10:19
The guardian has a list of the 116 things that cause cancer today. Even it got bored listing them all out. :yahoo::emot-sleepyhead::emot-sleepyhead::emot-sleepyhead::emot-sleepyhead: