PDA

View Full Version : Ectopics worse after bad news?

nikkilewis
25-10-15, 20:03
Hello all,

I've had palpitations for about 6 months. They started after a stressful time at work coinciding with my son being in hospital. I've been fully tested and all is fine and 'normal' but I've had a new experience and I'm curious if this applies to anyone else who experiences ectopics / thuds / surges of blood up the neck etc. After a few weeks which terrified me, I got better and better with the funny heart beats becoming less and less frequent. So of course I thought I was cured! But then I had some bad news on Friday, my Mum has been diagnosed with a brain tumour, and ever since my heart has been going crazy. Is this because I'm anxious again? Obviously my mums problems are much more serious than mine but I want to be strong for her and not let this get in the way.

missyladybug
26-10-15, 03:13
Definitely stress can make the palpitations worse. I went into A-Fib on the first anniversary of my brother's death. Two years before that I lost my husband and about a year after that my mother went into cardiac arrest. It has been a terrible several years and my heart is very "thumpy".

I am sorry to hear about your mother's brain tumor. I hope she can get the help she needs to get better. Sending good thoughts your way.

trus75
26-10-15, 07:57
stress and anxiety can definitely cause not only ectopics but fast heart rate and temporary increase in blood pressure too. This morning I woke up after a bad nightmare, I was very anxious, measured by blood pressure while I was still in bed. It was 165/105, heart rate 107. If I didn't know myself I would probably run to the hospital. I calmed down and 10 minutes later the BP was 115/65 and heart rate 70...

nikkilewis
26-10-15, 20:42
Ok, thanks. I told my mum about some of the other threads on this forum where people have been told to forget they have a heart..... She said she wished she could ignore her brain. So.......she still has her sarcasm which is good to know