PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop the what ifs?

laurenmk
26-10-15, 02:07
The automated front door to my apartment building is broken, meaning that not only does it not close and lock, but it's staying wide open. It's been like that all weekend and the building said they have to wait until tomorrow for engineering to fix it. Security from the main building tries to come by and push the door closed from the inside when they remember to, so I know it hasn't been constantly open for 48 hours, but still. At first it made me anxious because I live in a high foot traffic part of the city, and thought, "What if a robber or a homeless person comes in? What if some drunken bozos come in?" I've made some peace with that happening, but now I'm worried about vermin. What if a rat or mouse (or more than one!) come in to get out of the cold? I will LOSE IT if I see a mouse or rat in my flat. I will want to throw out everything and quite frankly move.

Now, I know rationally that I have no evidence to think this has happened, and that given the fact that I've never seen a rat or mouse around the grounds, it's probably unlikely. But I've literally stuck towels in front of the crack of my door and can't stop worrying. How do you stop the what ifs?

Fishmanpa
26-10-15, 02:16
I assure you that vermin don't typically just stroll through an open front door. They find ways to get into buildings many, many other ways if they want to. Same thing with bugs and such.

Stopping the "what ifs" comes down to logic and believing it.

Positive thoughts

TheMadOladCoger
26-10-15, 11:27
Hello,

The "What if's" is what give the Anxiety and OCD its power of a lot of people myself included in that, as Fishmanpa said it's down to us believing it and not questioning everything. Like if a Doctor says something we need to accept it and every time the What if pops into our head just think about what you have been told and not what you have read on somewhere like Google.

I am one of those people that lets the what if's control them I can't let go as I think the Doctors are wrong as I read something and thats final in my mind.
Its will power if you don't give the what if's any power over you they will not have as much impact on you when they happen.

Peace