PDA

View Full Version : Sinus infection not responding to antibiotics?

tan235
26-10-15, 05:32
so I've been given antibiotics, this is the third day and I still have sinus pressure, quite badly behind one eye and cheek and it doesn't seem to be getting better, I"ve this infection for a week now and really freakign out - actually 1 week 2 days.
If it's viral and I"m taking antibiotics is that even worse for my body?
Now I'm worried it will go to my brain - I can't cope.
help .... anyone had a sinus infection - a bad one - how long did it last!
so annoying.

MyNameIsTerry
26-10-15, 07:16
Antibiotics take a few days to kick in usually. I've had many courses as I'm an asthma sufferer so everytime I used to get a cold as a child it would progress to a chest infection. What I have always found, and my mum & GF have found the same, is that it takes those few days. As far as I know, they halt the infection first and then reduce it. So, because of this you notice very little the first few days and then you see results.

There is always the chance that they won't he sufficient in terms of strength or duration of course. So, if an infection is still that at the end or it appears to go and then come back very quickly, see your GP again as you need another or longer course usually.

So, I would wait and see.

tan235
26-10-15, 07:41
Thanks ..... I can actually breathe a bit better so yeah they might be working ;0
x

Malcolm Lewis
27-10-15, 16:38
Give it time Tan. Sinus infections typicaly last longer than the symptoms of URTI and a cold. 2-3 weeks is not uncommon. I suffered for 4 weeks while abroad before I could get back to the UK and get proper treatment ( antibiotics ). it will take some time to kick in, but do not stop the antiobiotics, take the full course even if you start feeling better.

Malcolm