PDA

View Full Version : Weird cold symptoms - could it be a sign of something else?

damianjmcgrath
26-10-15, 07:37
I had a bad cold for a week, then most of the symptoms disappeared. However, I've still got a chesty cough, and my breathing feels a bit weird and sometimes when I cough, it chokes me and I struggle to clear my throat.

My chest is also feeling achey and weak - like it's full of mucus and that's causing the heart or lungs to struggle and it aches a bit. My left chest, just above the nipple area, also feels a bit heavy all the time like there's something there.

I'm also getting a lot more light headed spells, lasting a few seconds. My head is generally a bit fuzzy from the cold and it feels a bit like pressure rising so I assume it's due to the sinuses being inflamed or whatever but obviously dizziness makes me panic.

My upper chest is quite often hot to the touch, hotter than other areas. Also, it feels like my voice is affected, it feels a bit weaker and hoarser than usual. It's a struggle to reach the end of sentences because I run out of breath.

I don't have any allergies or existing sinus problems than I know of.

Finally, I'm reasonably ok during the day, but from about 8pm onwards, I get a blocked nose. It's especially bad as soon as I wake up in the mornings, and my chest aches more then too. I assume I'm struggling to breathe properly when I'm asleep, as my mouth is dry too, like it's been open all night.

The symptoms sound like a cold but all my other things like runny nose, headaches, sneezing, sore throat etc have all gone. The symptoms that are left have been here for over 2 weeks now which is another concern.

I think I'm panicing a bit more because of the persistent cough, and chest aches. I keep thinking maybe it's a chest infection, or turning into pneumonia or flu or maybe a virus has got to my lungs or heart or whatever. I've never had a cold last this long or give me these types of aches.

My doctors are busy for 2 more weeks too.

What do people think - can colds last this long and cause these problems?

Iblametheparents
26-10-15, 10:56
I don't know about you, but I find colds are lasting much longer than they used to! I had one recently and like you felt that it just wasn't clearing up. I started to think I was getting a chest infection because my cough didn't clear the irritation. Last year I had what to all intents and purposes was Whooping Cough and coughed for 6 months straight. I though it would never end. My voice took even longer to recover because of the trauma on my vocal cords.
Cold viruses can linger and I too have had weird dizziness after a cold.
Isn't it silly that a common can cause so much anxiety!
You'll be FINE, colds can be a pain in the arse and worry makes life so much worse.

TheMadOladCoger
26-10-15, 11:23
Hello,

I think there is a pretty bad Virus going round at the moment, a lot of people seem to be getting a cold that just doesn't go. I have spoken to some people who have had one for 3 weeks + now it's just how cold seem to be they are lasting longer. Try and rest a little and don't worry about it so much as a cold is just a cold nothing to bad more of an irritant than anything.

peace

damianjmcgrath
26-10-15, 12:35
It's the fuzzy head that's annoying, I feel like I'm always a bit unsettled and light headed and like I'm swaying slightly. I hope it's just blocked sinuses.

sarahxxx
26-10-15, 21:57
hi there my huband had it still has after 2 weeks i have had it from last sunday no sign of getting better yet coughing yukky mucus and getting no sleep my hubby did get antibiotics as he has cop but doctor told my brother to let it run its course no antibiotics taking paracetimal no good try and drink loads of water if your sweating a lot hope you feel better soon

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:50 ----------

its flu drink lots of water my family all have it its a bad one doc only gives antibiotics if you have other health problems and yes i have all the yukky cough after the sneezing ended been 10 days with no sleep nasty bug hope you feel better soon x

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

posted twice thought my first one had not gone though