PDA

View Full Version : Want to ask more about something on the Symptoms page

Orange Lightning
26-10-15, 12:05
"People complain of feeling as though they will choke or being strangled. In reality its not nearly so dramatic – the muscles in the throat contract and salivary glands produce thick mucus leading to a feeling of restriction around the throat, it can produce a feeling that you are having difficulty swallowing or breathing. In fact you are not having difficulty, it just feels as though you are."

We are still investigating my ongoing breathing problems, and have 3 things in mind; Vocal Chord Dysfunction, LPR Reflux and Sleep Apnea. This phrase I've pasted caught my eye though; I was wondering what exactly it means by things like "feeling of restriction" or "thick mucus?" The latter is particularly important; it often feels like thick saliva is blocking my airways after I try swallowing it. When I took a Spirometry as this happened, we ruled out Asthma, but showed I did have some difficulty getting air in.

Iblametheparents
26-10-15, 12:10
Hmm.
In terms of physiology I imagine it has to do with the sympathetic nervous system, which causes saliva to thicken and dry up. If you have anxiety you'll have a good-going SNS!

MyNameIsTerry
26-10-15, 12:11
Mucus is an inflammatory response, hence asthma sufferers like me get it when there is a trigger or due to something like infection. Everyone will have excess mucus at some point since it's a response to allergies like hayfever or during a cold.

I'm not sure about the context in that statement but anxiety is supposed to be inflammation related.

Iblametheparents
26-10-15, 12:21
anxiety is supposed to be inflammation related.

Really? That's an interesting way of viewing it. (not being sarcastic)
You mean as in, stress causing a state of chronic inflammation? This is what concerns me about anxiety because all that cortisol is bad for you.
Sorry OP, we may have gone off-piste here.