PDA

View Full Version : Skin worries

Iblametheparents
26-10-15, 18:36
I've been churned up the last couple of weeks due to finding a rough patch on my face. After reading about skin things I surmised it was probably solar keratosis. But of course in the back of my mind all I'm thinking is melanoma.

So I saw my GP today. Feel really proud that I waited 2 weeks in case it was just a scab. My anxiety has mounted over that time to the point I can't sleep my muscles are so tense.

Lo and behold she thinks it is solar keratosis and I have to go back if it doesn't resolve in a month. When I asked her she stated categorically that it was NOT melanoma. She said if she thought it was for an instant she would get me seen by dermatology within a week.

I feel so grateful for having such an understanding and approachable GP and reassured that in my area at least, I would have been fast tracked if there had been any concern on her part. I just wanted to share this because although I have HA, it is okay to try to rationally understand your body. I don't want to become an illness-phobe. I haven't been able to read about melanoma because it made me so scared. Now I can read about it without feeling anxious because for once I managed to handle myself with some self-control. Good luck everybody.

Randara
26-10-15, 23:15
This is really good to hear. I'm glad it wasn't as bad as your thought it would be. I definitely agree with trying to understand what is going on with your body, it's so easy to jump to compulsions when most of the time our symptoms are what they are (i.e headache is just a headache nothing more) :)