PDA

View Full Version : First real panic attack tonight - out of nowhere

damianjmcgrath
26-10-15, 19:48
I've been really suffering for the last few days, my anxiety has been pretty high because of a chesty cold I've got causing aches right in the area I don't want!

Tonight, I went for a jog, just a gentle 10 min jog but it exhausted me. Hopefully the cold is affecting my fitness as opposed to anything more sinister. When I came back, I had dinner then felt so tired, I had a quick nap. This was about 6pm.

I woke up about 45 mins later, and my left wrist was hurting with pinching pains. My upper back was also aching. This brought on fast heart beats and a big panicking feeling. My throat felt like it was closing over. I got a weird heavy feeling above my eyes like something was forcing them to close. I couldn't quite catch my breath and felt I was noticeably breathing quicker.

Over the next hour or so, I got some stabbing pinching feelings in my left arm pit and then central chest. It was a heavy indigestion style pain which freaked me out more because it was central. I got really cold, and clammy.

I've had anxiety for a long time but it rarely reaches that point where I was convinced I was in real trouble. This was probably the most "real" it's ever felt.

Right now, I'm lying on the sofa, the feelings have subsided but I'm still feeling really tired and shaky. It's a weird type of tiredness, like I want to close my eyes and give up. The sensation of giving up is strong. It's like I have to fight against the feeling of drifting away. I've also got a weird chest feeling, like its itchy. Actually scratching it or rubbing it does help, but it's not a skin itchiness, it feels like it's under the skin.

My left arm feels strange, like it's a bit heavier. Feels like it needs more effort to move it.

Emotionally, I withdrew into myself - I'm really struggling to find anything on TV to distract me. Everything bores me or I don't have the focus for anything. Chatting to family doesn't interest me. I feel my capacity to deal with anything has disappeared completely - if my baby started crying now, I wouldn't be able to cope, I think I'd be so annoyed and wound up.

It's hugely frustrating. I know it's anxiety. It's felt worse then usual which created some doubt for me but I know it's anxiety. But telling myself that didn't work. Breathing exercises didn't work. Distraction didn't work. My mind stayed fixed on the negatives and I'm frustrated in myself that I allowed it to build and I seem to be getting worse at dealing with it. I've now got the added anxiety that it's getting worse and I don't want it to.

I don't really know what advice I'm asking for, I guess I just wanted to share. If anyone has any comments, I'd be interested in reading them. I hate that this can suddenly overwhelm my life for a few hours. I'd love to ignore it but it's like it disables me and I find it impossible to think about anything else.

Pepperpot
26-10-15, 20:01
Hi,
I've been there - the only difference is that my panic attack came out of nowhere - no suffering anxiety beforehand.
I think the problem is that we focus on how real the symptoms are. We focus on the throat closing over whether we think we are or not, an in turn that is feeding the anxiety. It is a vicious circle. For some reason we are tuned in to every little ache and pain, or "symptoms". Distraction didn't really help me either, until I had convinced myself that it's just my body's nervous system being overworked, and that I needed to de-stress. I find doing something with my hands helped a bit - like craft stuff, but you have to have in all in place already if you know what I mean, so that if you do get another panic attack then it's there. The symptoms you have sound exactly like the ones I had. They do go, but if you are anything like me you will worry about having another attack. Looking back, the only advice I could possibly give is to just let the panic wash over you. You could also try logging onto the chat room on here too - I remember having an attack once when I thought I couldn't breathe and I instant messaged my friend online - about 15mins later I realised I had calmed down a lot. x

damianjmcgrath
26-10-15, 20:08
My main problem is that I know it's anxiety, but especially when the symptoms are new or worse, I have a small part of my brain that thinks it could be real this time so I "keep an eye" on them, if that makes sense. It keeps my focus on them.

Pepperpot
26-10-15, 20:12
Yeah I understand. But they say that changing symptoms are good x