PDA

View Full Version : Is is possible to END

statyc
15-02-07, 12:09
Hi everyone.One of my biggest fears about the Panic Disorder is That for me it seems to be forever.Are there any of you who are cured and they are not affraid of the panic attacks ???
The oNly thing i can see is a lot of anxious people :(

nomorepanic
15-02-07, 12:16
Hi there

I haven't had a panic attack for over 2 years now I think it is and that was after suffering with them for 10 years.

Have a read of these too..

Is Recovery possible
100% recovered?? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3368)
total cure? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3832)
home truths (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2398)
why me. this ruins my life. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4957)
How do you know when you're cured? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5673)

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

vernon
15-02-07, 12:33
Hi, I don’t really think people do change, we are all different and some more nervous than others, I am 58 and have suffered anxiety, phobias and panic for as far back as I can remember. I have gad lots of clear years between where there has been no trace of panic or anxiety, then from nowhere its back again, but you do and will learn not to be afraid of panic attacks. After having so many over the years I know now for sure they do me no harm, think about something ells and they go before they get into anything big. I think part of the key is affirmations, keep telling yourself you are ok and nothing medically is wrong with you, It seems hard at first but keep telling yourself over and over whether you get a panic attack or not you are healthy and well, I wish I took this route years ago. However I do think certain fears stay with us if they are really strong like, my big fears are Dentist and any type of surgery, everyone alive has there fears and phobias but we can usually work around these. My son used to be really scared of heights, but now he is in the army been there for about 10 years and does freefall parachuting regular, so yes we can overcome fears? Hope this is of some help for you and think positive and don’t let these panic attacks scare you they are not even real. Take care. Vernon

terry
15-02-07, 14:32
hi statyc i have suffered panic for many years too but as ive mentioned b4 i believe i have cured mine as it is our thought process and the fight or flight procedure when fear we tend to run from it like distracting ourselves or doing anything so it dosnt come to mind but unfortunatly it stays with us haunting our every move every breath and living in dreaded fear the ******* might jump out on us of course when we least expect it,so instead of running for all those years id had enough and insted of running from it i welcomed it telling it i was happy that it was with me and id invite it along with me every where i went i had instant results you see i had feared this pa for so long as was at my witts end untill i turned it around and what a plesant surprise i got no more pa i havnt had them for nearly 2 years and if i feel a little one coming isay there u r i been wondering where u went ive missed u its gone b4 i finish the sentence try it just encourage it along remember were not actually scared of the panic its the fear we fear and pa feeds off it dont be scared give it ago

statyc
15-02-07, 16:02
Thank you.
So Terry,do you feel more free than before ? Do you do more things ?
I want to love the panic/anxiety but for me it seems to be the WORST thing that can happen to someone...why it's me ?? I'm no bad guy...
If i knew that the panic/anxiety disorder is helping me for something and i will learn good things about it,maybe i will love it,not be affraid of it...
I just need some good words about the panic...if there's any..

statyc
15-02-07, 19:04
Thank you :D . But when the Anxiety comes with it's horrible sensations,only negative thoughts come to me like "If i won't be able to deal with it and suffers me forever".All i want is to not be scared of it.My Panic attacks are not daily.My last was pa was more than an year.I'm not having panic attacks frequent because i spend my day only on safe plances,when there is someone who can make me relax if the panic comes.At home and at school i feel safe.I want to go out far from home,on discos and stuff but i'm affraid to do that because of the fear of having PA.I am really emotional person,and i feel like i'm not normal.I'm only 15 an i hope that when i grow up i will be less anxious...i just want to know that all the fears aren'
t forever...but...
BTW,when i say free means free to do all the things you want,no completely safe from the panic.
Thank you again

darkangel
15-02-07, 22:36
hi

I lived in an constant anxious state and experienced severe panic attacks sometimes up to 8 a day.

I can honestly say that now I still have anxious thoughts and the occasional panic attack but I have my life back - something I never belived would happen.

I have recived lots of professional help though over the years and am still on medication and still need to work on my thought process but it can be managed to a level where I can cope.

The best thing I can tell you is to let it pass, accept its happening, and do not add on any more frightening thoughts. Let the fear and the awful sensations wash over you and try not to fight them.

I accept that I may never be totally free from panic - but I treasure the moments of peacefulness that comes along. Be good to yourself and take care of number one.

Luv Darkangel x

........life is for living not just for surviving

sal
15-02-07, 22:52
I can only adivse on my experiences, it does end and can come back but every step of the way we are better prepared and believe in it. When rough we dont but in time that belief and stength comes back.

It isnt a battle like we all think it is belief and less doubt in ourselves.

Take it on as a battle and you lose straight away. Take it as a temporary measure and then we learn throgh it and realise that we have the strenght and ability to move on.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

KOKO23CAT
16-02-07, 21:13
what helped me start to recover was to realise that i couldn't go back to the person i had been before, i had to go forward and become who i am now. you will not have this forever, you will learn to manage your thought process. i have not had a panic attack for months i still get anxiety but the more i learn about them the stronger i feel

koko

''my life is full of catastrophies, most of which never happened''

cece
18-02-07, 02:10
It can get better because I have not had an attack in over two years now and feel like I have control over my anxiety now. You may want to try and learn cognitive training because it is what has helped me. Stay strong and realize you can beat this scourge.

Meg
18-02-07, 16:54
Its been several years since my last blip and in answer yes, I am back doing everything and more, than I would have done before ever having panic.

It has changed my life: it gave me a new direction, more compassion, better insights and understandings, new friends, a new family member and it's looking like a new career too.

I won't say it was easy because it wasn't - but once you can see the way ahead it's a great liberating feeling until you're 95% better and then that bit is the last bit push and was almost the hardest part that is so easy to give up on .

cece
26-02-07, 05:01
Good for you meg:D I love hearing success stories like yours. It is hard work but very gratifying and well worth it for me too.

apm
26-02-07, 09:56
Hi Statyc,

Just my experience. I had a big pa about 3 years ago, and at the time it was dreadful- I felt my life would never be the same again! With help from the guys on this forum, and really living better (eating sensibly, exercise etc), I did recover completely, save for a little glimmer of anxiety from time to time. In the last week, it has come back, but nowhere near as bad (I'm able to function, go to work etc, even go on trains). I think it's my body's way of telling me that I've been neglecting myself (going back to bad habits), and that I'm under alot of stress that I'm not acknowledging or dealing with!

I fully anticipate that I will recover again, and go back to what is a 'normal' life after recovering for a few weeks.

As Vernon so rightly points out, we can never be completely free of panic. By our nature we are sensitive people, and need to be particularly aware of the effect of things like stress and just really look after ourselves.

Keep the faith!

Alex.

net
26-02-07, 14:16
i think you can be cured to a certain extent cos after having panic and anxiety for 30 years recently after completing my second cbt course i finally have it under control. i now can go into supermarkets on my own and last week walked to the library on my own (somthing i have never done) and i also went inot the phone shop to complain on my own
i have found this time around that the only way to be cured is to step out of my safe places and constantly expand my comfort zones its not easy and it takes a while but every day is a step forward.

cece
27-02-07, 05:09
Good job Net! I am happy for you and feel the same way:D