PDA

View Full Version : Dizziness

damianjmcgrath
27-10-15, 17:33
I've recently been experiencing dizziness - it comes in waves, maybe lasts a few seconds, only rarely does it last 30+ seconds. It's a weird sort of dizziness, it feels like I'm swaying rather than the room spinning, and it feels like I've lost focus slightly. It's kind of like my eyes are really tired.

I could be sitting or standing and I'll feel like I'm about to topple over but I never do.

I've seen a GP who checked my ears, eyes and took general things like blood pressure, pulse, oxygen in finger, reflexes, strength and sensation in extremities etc. All fine.

He's drawn a blank so advised to see if it's still there in a few weeks, and it might be another anxiety symptom.

I'm willing to accept its another anxiety symptom - so my question is, how do people deal with dizzy spells? Is there anything you can take? Do you just ignore it or do you lie down? What makes it better or worse?

I'm not on any medication at all.

Thanks!

Iblametheparents
27-10-15, 17:39
Stematil?
I had it once. The Dr said it was post-viral. It made me very anxious but went away on its own. Like most things do.

Autumn4
27-10-15, 18:16
Hi i have been getting the same thing. I also feel as if I'm walking on marshmallow or sort of like the feeling when coming down in a lift. Its really unnerving but am sure its another anxiety symptom.

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

I try to ignore it however it usually heightens my GA.

Movielife
27-10-15, 18:53
I've had this on and off for 2.5-3 years now.

It can go away for MONTHS. It can then resurface for a good month or so.

It is horrible when i'm anxious or stressed.

Honestly, it is so unnerving to deal with all the time.

I've been seen by ENT. First, infection? No. Then, Menieres Disease? No....my hearing is ok.

Next, they think it is painfree migraines....instead of pain it attacks your balance and your brain struggles to re-balance before another migraine. Hence it comes and goes and can stay for some time.

I'm petrified of it and I've been more and more anxious about it over the past year. It has made me have major health anxiety. I've convinced myself I'm worse and now the physical symptoms of anxiety and side effects of propranolol make life even harder.

I just hope my scan is ok. They think it will be...and it's routine (e.g. I've waited some time for it....no rush).

damianjmcgrath
27-10-15, 19:05
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It kind of feels like pressure rising, then my eyes slightly lose focus and gloss over. I'm reassured slightly by the fact that it seems to be a fairly common anxiety symptom. I can try and ignore it but sometimes the dizziness is a bit more intense and its hard to pretend it's not there.

Has anyone got any coping strategies for dizziness or it is just the same as the coping strategies for anxiety generally?

Movielife
27-10-15, 19:26
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It kind of feels like pressure rising, then my eyes slightly lose focus and gloss over. I'm reassured slightly by the fact that it seems to be a fairly common anxiety symptom. I can try and ignore it but sometimes the dizziness is a bit more intense and its hard to pretend it's not there.

Has anyone got any coping strategies for dizziness or it is just the same as the coping strategies for anxiety generally?

I tend to find I can only cope by being less anxious or not thinking about it. If I'm having a period with barely any dizziness this is much easier.

Vet
27-10-15, 20:02
I get dizziness and believe it is the anxiety kicking in. As I get more anxious so I get more dizzy.

Lan69
27-10-15, 20:53
I used to feel dizzy every morning and felt like I was going to faint. It's one of the most common symptoms of anxiety. I also had pins and needles in my right arm it was really uncomfortable but my doctor explained they are both caused by my hyperventilating.
I was also prescribed propanolol and I honestly think it made my anxiety worse cos I was constantly worried about my blood pressure and heart rate, I even bought a monitor and was constantly checking both I felt like I couldn't relax