PDA

View Full Version : Propanonol

damianjmcgrath
27-10-15, 21:59
My GP has prescribed me this for my health anxiety. He seems to think it'll stop or reduce the symptoms, allowing me to feel more relaxed and less anxious overall.

I've heard some stories about it on here though.

Generally, would people on here recommend it?

Randara
27-10-15, 22:37
Some things work for some people and they don't for others. Don't let other people's experiences affect your opinion. Taking medication with a negative/positive outlook is going to affect how you perceive it. If I were you then I'd make sure I fully understand how it works even if that means calling/going back to doctors.

Sorry not the answer you probably wanted but I think it is important to remember this :)

Movielife
27-10-15, 23:17
Unfortunately I am requesting a change from this medication. I have fairly low blood pressure and this seems to lower it too far. I feel odd and uncomfortable on it.

Darwin73
28-10-15, 01:33
I was on this about 20 years ago (not for anxiety, but due to a medical condition). I did find that it gave me really bad dreams (think this might be listed as one of the possible side effects). However, not everyone suffers side effects and if your Dr thinks it might be helpful for you, there is no harm in trying it. If it doesn't agree with you, you can always ask to switch to another medication. It would help to control the physical symptoms of anxiety such as a fast heart rate and sweating, but wouldn't do anything to address your mind set per se.

JaeBee
28-10-15, 07:47
My GP prescribed a low dose of this (10mg x 4 a day) 6 years ago and I too was apprehensive about taking them but honestly they helped me so much. I definitely recommend it. It helped me with racing heart, palpitations, hyperventilating and associated symptoms

ricardo
28-10-15, 08:02
My GP has prescribed me this for my health anxiety. He seems to think it'll stop or reduce the symptoms, allowing me to feel more relaxed and less anxious overall.

I've heard some stories about it on here though.

Generally, would people on here recommend it?

Propanonol is prescribed mainly for high BP and also for anxiety.
The good thing is that it works quite quickly and you can come off it without tapering first.

Unfortunately it didn't help me with either condition but that doesn't mean it won't help you.

Iblametheparents
28-10-15, 09:58
I've considered asking for it but they'll probably say no because I get a bit wheezy.

dally
28-10-15, 15:14
Two reasons you wouldn't be prescribed propanalol would be
Asthma
Low blood pressure.

There are other beta blockers that may help reduce adrenaline without those side effects.
Your need to consult your GP.

Although propanalol doesn't reduce anxious thoughts, I find that stopping excess adrenaline, stops me getting in an upward spiral of anxiety.