PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have anxiety at night or while you sleep?

dizzy daisy
28-10-15, 08:28
Hi All
Had anxiety since 16 and now 39. I manage to control it these days pretty well but when I get ill with anything it seems to trigger anxiety (as my main thing is health anxiety).
Originally posted last week as had migraine with aura last week. This triggered fatigue/ muggy head sensation but it lingered on longer than usual. This of course made me more anxious as my brain decided to worry about all the possible major illnesses this could mean!! You know the drill guys. As we progressed into the weekend it continued but I developed further symptoms of red dry throat, dry eyes, some mild intermittent pain and pressure in my sinus area and ears. I worried again and finally went to walk in centre 2 days ago. They hooked me up and looked at pulse, BP, blood oxygen levels and temp- all of which were normal. They then checked out my throat which they said was red but no signs of ouss etc and my ears which they said had lots of congestion and bubbling. I explained that I felt as if everything was dry rather than runny and sneezy but you know my taste buds and everything were dulled exactly like when you have a cold. She explained that to be congested it didn't have to be loose and runny, sometimes it's the opposite and gets all dry. She diagnosed a viral infection and said rest and plenty of fluids. Phew- I was relieved.

Anyway here I am still not right and starting to worry again. I'm going hot now and then and this triggers of my heart racing etc and all through the night I kept waking up feeling really anxious and shaky. Even cried at one point as I'm so fed up.

Just wondered if anyone out there could relate to this and maybe offer some support x

Iblametheparents
28-10-15, 09:55
Just to say yes, I've just come through a bout of that. Legs all firm and tense and twitchy and heart feeling like it was racy when I woke up. It wasn't though, it was a steady 58 like it normally is! It's horrible and very difficult to sleep. I cuddle my cat, it seems to help.

dizzy daisy
28-10-15, 10:29
Thank you so much for your reply. It is truly horrible. I'll try and cuddle my dog if it happens again and hopefully it will pass xx

white1989
28-10-15, 12:02
sorry to hear you're struggling daisy, that sounds like a nasty set of symptoms! but you're doctor's checked you over and diagnosed a viral infection which it undoubtedly is. stress and worrying will probably make the symptoms worse (I'm the queen of that!) so try to get plenty of rest, fluids and sleep and I'm sure you'll be better soon.
I totally know what you're going through as my partner was very poorly last week with a bad tummy and I was convinced I was going to lose him thinking about all sorts of terminal illnesses, its a horrible way to feel! I promise you're not alone!
sending lots of support xx

Wanderlust
28-10-15, 12:31
Yes, and it can be the worst time because you are mentally and physically tired, and perhaps at your most vulnerable.

I shan't go into my symptoms but in general I find, sometimes when i take time before sleep to really distract my mind and relax my thoughts it can help, not always, but its important to make every effort, (as well as making sure you are properly hydrated and getting all the nutrients you need in your day), I also try to avoid flashing images such as computer and tv for an hour before sleep now too.

Plan some distractions, perhaps a meditation cd you can play if you wake and cannot calm yourself alone, or something similar. At my worst, i accept that it is going to keep me awake and so i go out for a light jog or walk, which is far better that lying there and getting beaten up by my worries.

I hope you can find some solace soon, the emotional outburst are normal, the frustration we feel at being so out of control and vulnerable, it can actually do you some good to let it all out with a good cry :)

dizzy daisy
28-10-15, 12:56
Thanks so much everyone. I'm trying my best to just relax, but sometimes I do feel as if I am relaxing but the symptoms continue. I know it's probably just that they take time to fade, but it's just not easy xx

Wanderlust
28-10-15, 14:43
Certainly not easy, I only wish I could tell you where the hidden off switch was, but sadly I am yet to find it myself, it does take time, stick with it, keep busy and distracted, listen to your GP, just give yourself every chance :)