PDA

View Full Version : Scared I have cystic fibrosis

Ronan23
28-10-15, 17:00
I know it may seem like a ridiculous thing to think about. My grandmother was recently diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. She is an exceptionally rare case in that she was not diagnosed until she was into her 70's. Maybe she had a milder form of it.

I'm 25 and her recent diagnosis has flared up my health anxiety, what if i have it? I have suffered with at least 2 colds every year of my life. My last one was particularly bad and resulted in wheezing. I have postnasal drip nearly every day (mucus at the back of my throat) and also suffer with runny noses a lot.

I know this isn't by any means a guaranteed diagnosis but i am very worried. should i go to the doctor about it? i dont want to spend money on an appointment only to be laughed out of the surgery. Adult diagnosis of CF is very rare but does happen. Unfortunately with health anxiety i am 90% sure i have CF. Any advice would be nice

Pepperpot
28-10-15, 18:19
Hi,
It is extremely rare, as you know yourself. However, as you suffer from HA, and your Grandma was diagnosed, why not be honest with your doc and tell him your fears.x

Mamafox2
29-10-15, 01:48
Definatly bring the question up to your doctor, however as a respiratory therapist I can say it's HIGHLYYYY x a million unlikely I've never even heard of a case like your grandmas. And secondly for a person to have cf BOTH of their parents have to be carriers of the gene to pass it along to their child.

daisyflower
29-10-15, 07:48
Only 2 colds a year??? Surely that means you have an amazing immune system! I have a child in pre school and we all have a different cold every 2 weeks in this house!
I really doubt you have anything wrong...sounds like your grandmother has lived a pretty long life too so why would it matter much if you did have that? I thought it was something they found out at birth pretty much all the time anyway?

countrygirl
29-10-15, 20:53
She must have a very rare and very mild form of it to have lived to the age she is.
As has been said both parents need have the faulty gene to produce a child with it.
Def go and discuss your fears with your Dr as they can almost certainly put your mind at rest.