PDA

View Full Version : New from US. Need help creating calm despite many med allergies.)

dei gratia
28-10-15, 17:00
Hello everyone,

I have some real health problems, but have been fortunate to do well without meds to manage most.

One problem is that I'm allergic to and in some cases just intolerant to foods and meds. I'm often allergic to antibiotics - and have only a few that are still known to be safe for me to take.

This week I developed a possible infection (little annoying cyst on shoulder suddenly decided to go crazy). Friday I see my doc and it's quite likely she'll insist I take one of my likely SAFE antibiotics.

I REALLY need help overcoming my fear of meds. I know the reactions can be real and dangerous - but gee - I would like to take the stuff and not worry UNTIL something happens and just be prepared without having to also kill myself internally with this crippling fear and panic.

So I was reading about some supposed fast phobia abatement method. It seems like you have to create a trigger of good memories and you tap into those when you're going into a scary situation. I'm not sure if it works or how to do it ---- but I would REALLY like to do this ASAP.

Part of my anxiety is that if my doc gives me the med on Friday I have the whole weekend when where I can not reach her during a reaction. Other doctors have sometimes misread my chart when my good doc isn't available and they've accidentally made my situation worse in the past. So.... I really need help quickly. Sometimes my allergy to a med kicks in after one dose, but other times I've taken one for 3, 4, or 7 days before the reaction happens. (Reaction is different depending upon the med given.) It doesn't help that some nutty doctors have scared the crap out of me telling me how dangerous this is. (I sometimes wish I was ignorant so I could feel bliss.)

In effect, I need to create a new me by Friday. haha. Easy, right?:winks:

I'll tackle my other fears after this, but this is a place I need to start.

Thanks for any direction.

PS: If it matters, I'm in a high stress situation being full time caregiver to 90 yr old parent. I barely have time to work and support myself (self employed at home). So, I am constantly exhausted trying to make ends meet and get through the day. Family situation is ... painful ... but I won't go into that. Help with this current fear would be most appreciated!

venusbluejeans
28-10-15, 17:08
Hiya dei gratia and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

dei gratia
28-10-15, 19:41
Thank you for welcoming me, Emmz.

Could you recommend which part of the forum I could ask my question and get noticed? I just realized the introduction area might not be where I'll be seen quickly by someone with an idea for this specific issue.

I did read some of the articles. Thank you.