PDA

View Full Version : My story

Anacbn
28-10-15, 20:42
My name is Ana, 36. Special needs teacher, wife and mother.
I am an anxiety sufferer for most of my life but started really feelings the effects of anxiety, after my daughter was born. When the doctor told me I had depression, I could not believe it. I thought I was terribly ill and was going to die! I spent months crying, terrified, googling symptoms and completely lost in the depths of hell.
I had every symptom possible, just to name a feel.
Dizziness ( my worst symptom. It lasted 18 months straight).
Palpitations
Stomach problems
Back pain
Eye twiching( v weird)
Numbness
Rib pain
Headaches
Jaw aches
I may be a bit different here because I never, and I mean NEVER, took any medication. Once the doctor gave me citalopram, but I didn't take it. My husband was against it and I trusted him. I'm glad I've done it now as I know it's possible to get better without medication.
My first step to recovery was to get in the gym. I went 4 times a week and after a while I loved it. It was my special time!
I also did CBT twice, once on the phone, once 1:1 which was better for me. My therapist was amazing. It also helped a lot!
I try to practice mindfulness everyday and if I get anxious, I take a couple of deep mindful breaths. It works wonders.
I went back to work. A busy mind works for me.
I am religious and the belief in God(I dark moments doubted, after all I'm human), makes me accept that I have a condition, and my suffering and perseverance here will bring me good fruits on earth as in heaven.
I could tell you all I'm cured. Unfortunately I am not. I admire people who say they are cured, but in my opinion anxiety is a life long condition.
Very early on when I wanted it all to stop, my husband told me that I was never going to be cured, that I had to learn to manage it and I would be fine. Well, he was right, even if I couldn't see it at the time.

I have my moments still, but most of the time I'm fine. No dizziness, no anxiety, no worries. I learned how to live again and now I'm prepared! When I see it coming I use what I learned and manage it well most of the time. Keep with the exercise regimen is crucial.
I tend to my garden, take my daughter on fun days, travel, cook wonderful meals, go on walks ,run, laugh and love ,a lot.

Pepperpot
28-10-15, 21:20
It's nice to ear success stories, and while you're not "cured" as such, you have overcome anxiety and learned how to deal with it. Take care x