PDA

View Full Version : Extreme anxiety after surgery!

FrankiesFav
29-10-15, 16:09
Hi all, have been lurking around for around a week, decided to ask a few questions.

I'm in my early 20s, and was young fit and healthy until my late teens, when 16 I was diagnosed with crohns disease, a chronic inflammation and scaring of the bowel lining, very recently (2 weeks ago) I had major surgery to remove the diseased bowel.. Weighing up the pros and cons I decided it had to go ahead, I could not go on with a liquid diet forever.. Simply put, I was very unwell.

Before the surgery I wouldn't class myself as an anxious person, I would sometimes get quite pannicky about my condition as when it flares up it can become very serious, but otherwise quite a calm individual.. Certainly no mental health issues to note

Since being home (not left the house properly yet, doctors orders!) I've felt void of all personality, I feel like I have no connection with anyone, its as if when Im talking I am a ghost, I sort of float through the day and I feel detached from anyone and everything.. Even typing this now it's as if I am a bystander, its a very odd, scary sensation.. I don't want to have to get used to this.

When I'm looking at things they almost have soft edges, nothing looks real, I sound crazy right now but thats the only way I can put it, total detachment from surroundings.

Does this go away? Am I going insane?

Would be comforting to know off people who've had similar reactions to surgery.

Thanks all.

hillface
29-10-15, 16:11
Hey!

Maybe this is a side effect from medications you may be on post surgery? Have you looked into that?

FrankiesFav
29-10-15, 16:23
Hey!

Maybe this is a side effect from medications you may be on post surgery? Have you looked into that?

Hi there, its a possibility its the follow up medication but I am only taking antibiotics, I'm due to take these for a few months to come yet, if it carries on I may have to contact someone to see if I can get it changed.

But surely just antibiotics wouldn't cause this much mental unrest, its crazy! I feel like im going mad!

hillface
29-10-15, 16:45
You'd be surprised! Antibiotics can cause a spaced out sort of feeling. Also, your body is recovering after a major operation so you're going to feel a bit whacked out. It's probably normal.

Definitely seek medical advice though! I always do even if I have a dodgy ear ache. It always seems to calm the nerves just to get some reassurance.

I can empathise with the feeling though. I've had it for a while.

Fishmanpa
29-10-15, 17:08
Hey Frankie,

I've had several "major" surgeries (heart bypass, stents, neck dissection etc. ) and the feeling you describe isn't unusual. It's more a depersonalization/derealization feeling and I believe it's a bit of PTSD in some ways. Like "what the (&!#@^% just happened to me?!" For me personally, I ended up with some depression and what I call "scanxiety"... in other words, high levels of stress and anxiety come follow up time. With the illnesses I suffer(ed) from, the chance of recurrence (both from heart issues or the cancer) are high.

Think about it though... Prior to the surgery, you're most certainly stressed. Then you're put under and cut open! They sew you back up and you wake up not recalling a thing and in pain. It's not fun! Then, you go home to heal and your life is basically put on hold while you do so. Then, depending on the severity of the surgery, it can be months to years or more until you actually feel normal again. I know it took a good 2 years after my heart surgery before I actually felt "normal". It's been over 2.5 years since my neck surgery and cancer treatment and I'm still not and will never be normal. It's a "new normal" and yes, the stress of a serious illness and/or surgery can and does affect you mentally.

So... what do you do?... First heal physically. Take care of yourself and get yourself physically on track. Then, if you're still feeling out of sorts, seek therapy. I did so and it helped immensely.

Positive thoughts

AlexandriaUK
29-10-15, 18:26
Hi you have just had to deal with a life changing decision at a very young age and you have my full respect, I have UC but I know Crones can be absolutely horrendous, yes certain antibiotics can make you feel just how you describe, is it Erythromycin or one of the same family, they are renowned for it, possibly you could get them changed, or just persevere with them it can pass but don't suffer in silence ask your GP
God Bless

FrankiesFav
29-10-15, 20:57
Thanks everybody for your replies, you've all been very kind and have comforted me greatly, I've spoken a few minutes ago with a family member who is an expert in the medical field, the antibiotics I'm taking are strong (Metronidazole) , and are to prevent re-occurrence of the disease within the first few years post surgery..

It looks like its the antibiotics which are causing this strong feeling of derealisation, they have been linked to depression and anxitey, I will probably be presented with the chance to simply stop taking them as it appears Metronidazole can indeed cause mental problems..

Will get back to everyone ASAP, thanks all for your help.

MyNameIsTerry
30-10-15, 04:35
Look into gut flora too because antibiotics are well known to kill healthy bacteria and even cause symptoms of anxiety, something that your family member will surely understand. There are people on here who have not had surgery but had continual courses of strong antibiotics to find they end up with anxiety and there are plenty outside of this forum too. Even the NHS themselves have recorded some advice about the possibility of using probiotics alongside antibiotics and you know how they only work with evidence based treatment so they are coming around to it. Gut flora is starting to show up as having an influence on mood and considering you need it to even digest your food properly, is it any wonder?

---------- Post added at 04:35 ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 ----------

Given your complex situation, I would suggest you discuss thios with a doctor though because whilst healthy flora is essential to us, it runs from your mouth to yout anus (and then out & back into the vagina for women) so some consideration of your op is needed. The reason I say this is because you can experience a "die off" effect if you have a candida overgrowth, just like when the liver can't clear out toxins quick enough any time, and I have no idea whether this could be an issue given your situation.