PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a Mouth Ulcer?

Andromeda
30-10-15, 09:37
I've never had one before and now this is my second one within a month.

The first one was very small and went away within a day or two.

This one is on the underside of my upper lip on the left and i can't even begin to describe how bad the pain is.

It's been there for 3 days now and its getting bigger. I bought some 'iglu' from the chemist yesterday which does seem to give it some relief but the pain is horrendous.

It feels like there's a gaping hole in my lip. The pain is not proportionate to the ulcer whatsoever.

I've gone through a lot recently with my stomach (reflux abdominal pains bloating cancer fears etc) so i don't need to add this to the mix and i am trying my best not to fixate or think the worst OR GOOGLE but i've never had them before so i'm not really sure what to do?

Is it something for the dentist? It hurts to eat or drink but i don't know if i'm making a mountain out of a molehill

Randara
30-10-15, 09:45
I tend to get a few ulcers pop up once a month, think it must be to do with my hormones somehow as They always come at the same time. I've also had them in the past from eating acidic foods, or even accidentally biting the inside of my lips.

It is rubbish because they are so painful and it makes it difficult to enjoy eating/drinking. But I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, it's only been 3 days, carry on using the Iglu and try to avoid foods that will irritate (I find tomatoes are a big offender). The NHS website says they can last up to 3 weeks and then go see your gp/dentist.

MyNameIsTerry
30-10-15, 10:08
I've had many of them over the years. Just biting the inside of your mouth easily starts them off.

I've also has periods of stress where I've ended up with 4-5. It can do that.

The immune system is more than capable of sorting them out and after a few days of annoyance they seem to build up to a threshold and then suddenly all pain goes bit they are still there for a day or two.

Things like iglu and bonjela help to calm them down quicker if you need them.

Don't worry about them, they are just one of life's little annoyances - like wasps :D

nivekc251
30-10-15, 23:03
I get these all the time. Some from biting others just pop up. They are very painful and annoying and last for a week sometimes more. Just keep your mouth clean I gargle with salt water it stings but it keeps them clean.

GingerFish
31-10-15, 10:10
Lucky you for this only being your first of a few ulcers! My mouth used to be pretty much filled with them constantly due to stress but in don't know why, lately despite heavy stress, I rarely get them now. Maybe I've grown out of them or something.

They are really painful and it can feel like they are never going tonfully heal and go away. I've noticed the ones on the side of my tongue are most painful and take longest to heal, probably because inam accidentally biting into it as well. I don't find that creams like Bonjela really work and if they do, they don't last long. The doctor gave me a numbing mouthwash that lasted up to 3 hours and that worked a treat. Salt water is handy too. I never found it helped much with the pain but it helped keep by mouth clean and sometimes made them heal a bit quicker