PDA

View Full Version : potassium overdosing?

stressedanxious
30-10-15, 14:52
I didn't realize the potassium levels in my foods and drinks, I've been drinking a bunch of coconut waters, and a bunch of bananas, and fruits and veggies. potatoes. I am worried i may have potassium posisioning. i cant type i am so scared, I am having a panic attack. I dont have a ride to the doctors office, and Im worried IM gonna die at home , i just dont know what to do :( I am panicking so hard, does anyone know how long potassium lasts in the body? for example if i drank something a few hours ago when does it go away i am so scared :(

2Anxious
30-10-15, 19:44
O_O

You don't have potassium poisoning. It's literally impossible. You'd have to eat like 20,000 bananas to die of a potassium overdose.

Pamplemousse
30-10-15, 19:51
There is an excerpt on the BBC iPlayer from the programme More Or Less (about 5.5 minutes in) discussing the "more than six bananas" myth and discussing the amount of potassium that's dangerous. Searching on the BBC website will find it - the programme was on the World Service and there's no geographical restrictions on radio content. Plus there's also a Magazine article on the BBC website on the same subject.

HTH :)

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-15, 06:09
This is from NHS Choices:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Other-vitamins-minerals.aspx

How much potassium do I need?
Adults need 3,500mg of potassium a day. You should be able to get all the potassium you need from your daily diet.

What happens if I take too much potassium?
Taking too much potassium can cause stomach pain, nausea and diarrhoea.

Have you had any of that? If the answer is no, you certainly have not had too muc let alone the

Overdose means symptoms like;

Overdose. Signs of a potassium overdose include confusion, tingling sensation in the limbs, low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, weakness, and coma. Get emergency medical help immediately.

Bare in mind that a high level of toxicity doesn't mean lethal, it means treatable. Toxicity is about taking more in than your body can clear, hence why people with renal problems are more suspectible and have lower potassium needs. It's not just about eating hundreds of bananas, you have to eat them within so many seconds too!