PDA

View Full Version : Scared of my mum having lung cancer

Toby2000
30-10-15, 16:27
Hi,

My mum is an ex-smoker, she quit 1 week ago. Not long ago, I know but it's still something I guess. She has a hacking cough that I'm pretty sure is a smokers cough because she says her phlegm/mucus has grey stuff in it which is all the tar and filth from inside her lungs. Although most of the time the mucus is completely clear, I think it only has stuff in earlier in the day but I'm not too sure. There's no blood, no getting out of breath or wheezing though, just the cough. She does have a nap every other day in the week, but I reckon this is due to stress, cleaning a lot around the house (and she has a cleaning job too) and getting up at 5am-6am in the mornings. She can get back and neck pain from time to time, but it goes and she says it's because she cleans and "she's on her hands and knees scrubbing".

She's booked an appt for Thursday though because I kept nagging her. The last time she went for an appointment was in February and that was for something else, but she got the doctor to listen to her chest and he said it was all fine. As much as I'm worried, all of these symptoms don't add up to lung cancer. Because if she had this cough, surely there'd be more symptoms there because symptoms don't show in early stages.. which again leads me to believe that this is a smokers cough (by the way she was coughing when she was smoking, but it's gotten a little better now she's quit). Last week in the morning, she was coughing a lot and nearly choked on her own phlegm.. but that hasn't happened since. She has got cold symptoms but I reckon this is due to the nicotine withdrawal, again. This cough would have gone ages ago if it was due to a cold. I am seeing someone about my anxieties too.

I just can't help but worry is there something wrong, because I'm so close to my mum it's untrue and I can't bear the thought of losing her.

Do you think there's something wrong? Has anybody else got these symptoms and are a smoker? What smokers symptoms do you get? Could it be Lung Cancer? I know none of you aren't doctors, but she is going to see one on Thursday and what you think isn't going to change the fact that she's going, so please can you be honest.

Thanks,

Toby

PS. Please don't scare me too much

Jamesk
30-10-15, 16:59
Lots of coughs and colds doing the rounds at the moment Toby - I've had a horrible cough for a couple of weeks now and I quite smoking 15 years ago.

Also quite often when a smoker quits they suffer and feel worse before feeling better, but she's done a great thing in quitting and you are doing a great thing in supporting her in it.

Just try and stay calm and see what the doctor says - as I say lots of coughs and colds going around it's the time of year.

Toby2000
30-10-15, 17:18
Lots of coughs and colds doing the rounds at the moment Toby - I've had a horrible cough for a couple of weeks now and I quite smoking 15 years ago.

Also quite often when a smoker quits they suffer and feel worse before feeling better, but she's done a great thing in quitting and you are doing a great thing in supporting her in it.

Just try and stay calm and see what the doctor says - as I say lots of coughs and colds going around it's the time of year.

Thanks for the reply. I agree it could be a cold, but it doesn't seem like it because a) her lungs are getting rid of all the gunk, and b) she's had this cough for quite a while.

If you don't mind me asking, what symptoms did you experience when you quit? I hope that doesn't sound rude :)

Jamesk
30-10-15, 17:23
Thanks for the reply. I agree it could be a cold, but it doesn't seem like it because a) her lungs are getting rid of all the gunk, and b) she's had this cough for quite a while.

If you don't mind me asking, what symptoms did you experience when you quit? I hope that doesn't sound rude :)

Not at all. A lot of smokers get a cough when they quit as the lungs take the time to "clear themselves out" of all the gunk. Also soem people think that the tar which coats the linings of the throat etc when you smoke acts as a barrier to minor infections etc (not a reson to carry on of course.)

My wife gave up two years ago and had the most awful chest infection afterwards - of course this could have been a coincidence but I have heard a few smokers who have given up say they suffrerred afterwards. As I say your mum is right to get cjhecked but keep supporting her in her giving up - it's a great move.