PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Neck Pulse Always Match Your HeartBeat?

worriednow22
31-10-15, 02:46
I keep getting a fluttering of what feels like my heart. I can put my hand on my chest and feel my heart beating like 20 beats a second. Like....it's going crazy. I am trying to determine if this is a muscle over the heart area or my actual heart beat.

Well....it just happened and I put one hand on my heart and the other on my neck pulse. My fluttering heartbeat did not match my pulse beat. My pulse beat on my neck was at it's normal pace, while my heart was beating about 3 beats per second and all of rhythm. At first this "ensured" me that my fluttering must be a muscle twitch or something and not my heart. But....then I wondered if my pulse on my neck would match a heart condition where it flutters too? Like....if my heart is actually fluttering or beating like 5 beats per second, wouldn't my neck pulse do the same?

Fishmanpa
31-10-15, 02:56
I can put my hand on my chest and feel my heart beating like 20 beats a second.

Physiologically impossible. I'd say you're in the midst of an anxiety attack.

Positive thoughts

worriednow22
31-10-15, 03:03
I might have been off on my number. It's like a "machine gun fire" my heart or muscle is doing. But wouldn't my pulse also reflect this in my neck? Or would it not?

Fishmanpa
31-10-15, 03:14
Anxiety attack... plain and simple. Misconstrued physical sensations amplified by anxiety IMO.

Positive thoughts

worriednow22
31-10-15, 03:18
Anxiety attack... plain and simple. Misconstrued physical sensations amplified by anxiety IMO.

Positive thoughts

Can an anxiety attack make my heart beat like this or muscle twitch? Because I can place my hand on my chest right over my heart and clearly feel this when it happens. It's real.

Phill2
31-10-15, 03:26
Its a muscle twitch

worriednow22
31-10-15, 04:21
but would my neck pulse beat to the same beat as my heart if it was my heart?

Phill2
31-10-15, 04:28
but would my neck pulse beat to the same beat as my heart if it was my heart?

Of course it would
Your heart doesn't beat at different speeds in different parts of your body
You need to get your HA under control
Try using positive thoughts

worriednow22
02-11-15, 23:19
Of course it would
Your heart doesn't beat at different speeds in different parts of your body
You need to get your HA under control
Try using positive thoughts

Thats what I thought too until I really thought about it. Maybe if it's a heart "defect" the heart might twitch or go into spasms etc. But....it doesn't actually effect the pulse in my neck maybe? Like....I am not sure if my heart is beating extra beats or going into spasms. But maybe the spasms are not strong enough to feel in my neck pulse?

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

If my heart was going into spasms would I be able to feel the spasms in my pulse too? I am actually getting fairly worried maybe my heart is going into spasms. I feels like its rumbling or sputtering. Maybe this would not be felt in the pulse since it's not an actual extra heart beat?

Phill2
02-11-15, 23:53
See above and stop worrying

2Anxious
03-11-15, 00:22
Thats what I thought too until I really thought about it. Maybe if it's a heart "defect" the heart might twitch or go into spasms etc. But....it doesn't actually effect the pulse in my neck maybe? Like....I am not sure if my heart is beating extra beats or going into spasms. But maybe the spasms are not strong enough to feel in my neck pulse?

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

If my heart was going into spasms would I be able to feel the spasms in my pulse too? I am actually getting fairly worried maybe my heart is going into spasms. I feels like its rumbling or sputtering. Maybe this would not be felt in the pulse since it's not an actual extra heart beat?

I hope I can end this right now: your heart can't spasm.

Are you referring to a vibration? Because my chest vibrates regularly and it has for a while. I've seen other people with the same problem and doctors never seem to be concerened.

I can distinctly feel the vibration and my heartbeat though.

worriednow22
03-11-15, 00:25
I hope I can end this right now: your heart can't spasm.

Are you referring to a vibration? Because my chest vibrates regularly and it has for a while. I've seen other people with the same problem and doctors never seem to be concerened.

I can distinctly feel the vibration and my heartbeat though.

Hey. This more like a fluttering. It usually comes out of nowhere and last only for 5-10 seconds. It's like a muscle twitch you would feel. It is right over my left chest below the left nipple right where I can feel my heart beat. I am pretty sure this is related to my heart the more I feel it.

Phill2
03-11-15, 00:54
Hey. This more like a fluttering. It usually comes out of nowhere and last only for 5-10 seconds. It's like a muscle twitch you would feel. It is right over my left chest below the left nipple right where I can feel my heart beat. I am pretty sure this is related to my heart the more I feel it.

Contrary to popular belief your heart is in the centre of your chest not on the left side.
Google for a diagram and STOP WORRYING!

2Anxious
03-11-15, 01:05

It's literally impossible though. If your heart was somehow spasming for 10 seconds, it wouldn't be able to pump enough blood for you to feel it in your arteries and you would pass out.

I'm positive it's not your heart.

However, to put your own mind at ease, if it continues ask your doctor for a 24 hour monitor.

worriednow22
03-11-15, 01:26
Thanks guys. It's true that the heart is not on the left side of chest. However....that is where I feel my heartbeat. Even though it's not located there, I feel my heart beat there. I also feel the fluttering there and I am pretty sure it's under my rid cage bones. I pulled the skin up during a fluttering episode and could still feel it under my rib cage going on.

I know I worry sometimes. But....this is pretty much my heart for sure I think. That's the problem. I suppose now the question is whether this is benign or not. I read that Mitral Valve Prolapse can cause this. I have already been diagonised with MVP in the past which is considered benign. But there is something called "regurigation" which can cause a fluttering sensation I read about.

Emilym80
03-11-15, 23:54
If you can feel it in your chest by placing your hand there, I'd say it's almost definitely a muscle spasm

Fishmanpa
04-11-15, 00:17
But....this is pretty much my heart for sure I think. That's the problem.

Exactly.

A pulse is a pulse. The heart is about the size of your fist. Outside of where it's located in your body underneath your breastbone you cannot really feel it. Physiologically, a heart beats and pumps blood through our bodies. A pulse doesn't change, flutter or do anything else but match what our hearts are doing and doesn't change depending on the location in or body. Period (.)

Positive thoughts