PDA

View Full Version : New member here + stroke fear

ShayneA
31-10-15, 22:06
My name is Shayne, i'm a 20 year old male from the great country of Canada. I was diagnosed with Health anxiety ( hypochondria ) late in 2013. It's been a struggle ever since. Right now I cannot get over my stroke fear. On the positive side of stroke risks I love exercising and I go to the gym 5-6 days a week ( I have been doing this for the past 6 years ) I have recently got my diet under control and have been eating much healthier. On the bad side, the side that is making me worry.. I smoke 5 cigs a day ( Ironic eh? I love working out but also love smoking ) and I get drunk a couple of times a week with my college buddies. I'm overweight right now, I'm 5'6 tall and 185 pounds. I have been having what feels like pressure on my head in different spots, headaches in general. slured speech though im pretty sure ive had this since I got this stupid anxiety disorder. Pins and needles, whats the likely hood of having a stroke at my age under my circumstances?

Randara
31-10-15, 22:31
Hi Shayne :) Im really sorry you're feeling like this, it's awful isn't it! I had a pretty bad panic attack just over a month ago and ended up in a and e because I just couldn't shake it. My main fear was that I had/was having a stroke. Luckily I saw a really nice nurse who did all the co-ordination tests for when people have strokes and I was fine. I think before that I was so worried about having a stroke that I subconsciously made myself have the symptoms (pain down one side, face feeling lopsided, pangs in head).

Since then I've been seeing a counsellor and have started CBT and am coping with health anxiety a lot better.

Have you seen a doctor about how you're feeling?

ShayneA
01-11-15, 11:38
Glad to hear you're doing better Randara! I need to start living a more healthy lifestyle and that should lower my health anxiety.

Randara
01-11-15, 22:12
Thank you. It's good that you know you need to be healthier, and I bet you will feel a lot better if you take action and eat well.

I think most health anxiety sufferers will have had stroke fear at some point. I think you should speak to a doctor f you can about your anxiety and your symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon!