PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get nervous over a slow heart rate?

jenni89
01-11-15, 00:14
My pulse is generally higher so when its in the low 50s, I get quite concerned. I notice more ectopic beats and heaviness when its slower too which makes me feel more nervous. I feel as though my heart will just stop beating altogether. I take a low dose 10 mg propranolol as needed and took one this morning. Does anyone else fear a slow heart rate as much as I do? It's not my normal as my heart rate hardly ever falls below 70 :weep:

Daniel28
01-11-15, 00:26
It's a common side effect of propranolol do you have other side effects? because I've recently been prescribed these but I'm a bit worried about taking them in case my heart goes to slow it's in low 50s at rest and also I suffer from hayfever quite badly which gives me asthma symptoms and it states not to take them if you suffer astma so I'm not sure what to do.

jenni89
01-11-15, 00:29
Only side effect is a slower rate, I'm on such a low dose though that I am not sure if 10 mg could cause such a drastic change in pulse rate. I have also been told that you shouldn't take beta blockers with asthma, so I would definitely discuss that with your dr before taking them.

Phill2
01-11-15, 00:39
It's a common side effect of propranolol do you have other side effects? because I've recently been prescribed these but I'm a bit worried about taking them in case my heart goes to slow it's in low 50s at rest and also I suffer from hayfever quite badly which gives me asthma symptoms and it states not to take them if you suffer astma so I'm not sure what to do.
But you have hayfever NOT asthma!

missyladybug
01-11-15, 12:58
I have the same issue. I was put on metropolol as a comfort drug for Atrial Fibrillation that happened 2 years ago (just once, so far...gulp) and it lowered my heart rate and blood pressure (which it is supposed to do) but made me very very tired. The cardiologist took me off of it last month. However, my resting heart rate "used to be" in the 70's and now it is in the low 60's, even though I am off the drug. I am, however, 66 years old so that may explain it.

But yes, I worry about it too. I worry when it is low. I worry when it is high. I worry when it is thumping and palpitating and fluttering, and yes - I even worry about it when it is behaving like a good little heart.

ARGH!!!!!!

trus75
02-11-15, 10:27
it depends on the time of the day, if you measure the HR just before you go to bed, it will be a lot lower than normal. You can have a "resting" HR of 70's during the day and 55's at night, it's a natural thing. And it's true that ectopics feel a lot worse with slow heart rates, because you are more aware of your heart and the compensatory pause is bigger. Sometimes it really feels like the heart is going to stop, but it won't ;)