PDA

View Full Version : Antidepressants and twitching

JeffY
01-11-15, 11:30
I have been on Prozac and Trazodone going on three weeks now, couple of days ago I muscle twitching mostly in my legs but sometimes I will feel it in other places. It's very light twitching. Should I get off of the meds? it is really playing with my ALS fear, I'm constantly lifting stuff and looking at myself in the mirror. Has anybody else experienced this? and does it eventually go away?

Thanks,
Jeff

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-15, 11:37
You can get this with increased levels of anxiety. I had them ages ago when I was much worse and they do go away as your overall anxiety levels decrease. I can remember my arms & legs jerking around randomly and quite violently at times. Speaking to others on here has shown me this is more due to increased anxiety levels because when you bring these levels down, they are less prominent.

You may find if you looked on Drugs.com (or ask a pharmacist if you can't) at these meds, they will have side effects like this. It should say in the leaflet with them. If so, this should go soon. (often 4-6 weeks for side effects but can be less and it doesn't have to be as intense all the way)

Jerks & twitches are very common symptoms in anxiety disorders so whilst it's affecting your HA fears, it's one to try to accept as your anxiety.

JeffY
01-11-15, 12:27
Thank you very much for the response, I go to the Dr. tomorrow for a follow up and I will mention it to her.

jayb1
01-11-15, 13:42
I get get terrible twitches especially in my legs and have permanent tremors in my hands. The twitches were very bad when I had this last meltdown especially in my face it looked like I was trying to do Elvis impersonations! That has eased off now luckily. I think the hand tremors are a side effect of my increase to 225 mg venlafaxine but they are worse when I'm outside(I'm agoraphobic) so maybe just increased anxiety. Personally I would rather keep taking the meds and cope with the twitches

JeffY
01-11-15, 13:55
I will just stay on the meds for now and see how everything pans out, I hate side effects because it just starts playing with my mind. It's also frustrating that a year ago I was fine, and all of sudden this whole thing snowballed on me.

Thanks all!!