PDA

View Full Version : Hair Pulling.

cscott2
15-02-07, 22:55
i need to let off some steam people!! sorry.

basically - little sister is pulling out her hair due to anxiety and is gettin balder by the day!! it is soo upsetting and frustrating!!

doctors are saying we have just got to distract her from this and "be ther" for her. but its not helping!

does anyone else deal with this,or have dealt with this? i just dont know what to do anymore =[

tam
15-02-07, 23:29
hi dont know if this will be any help or the same thing as your sister is suffering with but on this morning today they was talking about a girl who had been pulling her hair out,theres info on there web site andhelpful contacts ect.hope it helps tc tracy

cscott2
15-02-07, 23:55
yeah me and my dad watched that. the sad thing is she was 26 and still had an urge to do it :( my little sister is only 11 ='[

kellym
17-02-07, 23:00
Hi, sorry to hear about your little sister, i do think it does become a habit, i pick my head all the time which is now full of cuts and my head is red raw and so sore, i get told off all the time from my family but it really is a habit and i dont even realise sometimes that i am doing until my partner yells at me to pack it in. i have done this for years and no matter what people say to me i cant help it, i know this is not a very positive reply but when i am not anxious i dont do it that much,it is a form of relief for me which some people think is self harm, is she taking anything for her anxiety?, i think this is what she needs to tackle first to make her realise what she is doing to herself?

Take Care

Meg
18-02-07, 17:48
There are whole sections pf web sites dedicated to Trichlomania

Try www.ocdaction.org.uk (http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/)

kimmy
19-02-07, 19:14
Ive heard thats an illness in itself. Like Meg has said. I know it sounds silly but can you give her something instead? A ball of wool? something to play with. MY heart is with you all xxxxxxxx

cscott2
19-02-07, 23:39
we have tried everything. my dad bought her a huge set of this playdough stuff,shes had a necklace making kit and a cross stitch kit. nothing takes her mind off of it. she is on Prozac for her anxiety. we think it has stemmed from her fear of being sick of getting ill (i have emetaphobia too but not as severe)

and yes,the doctor told us its her way of releasing her anxiety! its soo soo hard to understand,i really feel sorry for her. shes starting secondary schol in august - i hope to god she is better by then.

thanks everyone xx

Claire

fightingonstill
05-03-07, 12:16
Hi
I cant offer much help sorry! Just that i know how it is as i have also been through hair pulling stage. I did fully recover from that and only have few bald spots which nobody can see ...but i always passed the anxiety on to somewhere else.
I think the main thing to recognise is that i think we should learn to recognise that we are anxious people and that we learn to manage it and learn about it, if that makes any sense.
I hope you do get some sense of it all and that the doctor can help you understand abit more. Maybe going to the library and getting some books to read about anxiety issues will help?
Take care