PDA

View Full Version : Omeprazole time to work as panicking........

jarmummy123
02-11-15, 15:38
So, Ive been experiencinh indigestion/heartburn for a few weeks. Dr gave me omeprazole 20mg once a day. I started taking them Friday morning and the pain under ribs has gone but Ive had heartburn today, though I did eat a chinese at 11pm last night?! I am worried that they are not working...... how long does it take them to work to their full effect?

teasle2
02-11-15, 18:28
Im in the same position! Been on 40 mg for two weeks now for suspected ulcer. First week went well but they dont seem to be doing the job second week, esp after Indian meal last night. Went back to gp today who gave me peppermint oil to try. This indigestion /reflux thing is awful - you have my sympathy:huh:

Fishmanpa
02-11-15, 19:09
My wife was on it and it took at least 2-3 weeks to really kick in and even then she still had some issues. The doctor switched her to Pantoprazole and all has been good since (I'm on it too and have been good). Give it time, keep a food diary and avoid the foods that instigate your reflux (like Indian teasle2!). Eating late is a major cause of indigestion so avoid anything after 6pm if possible (like Chinese at 11pm jarmummy123!).

Positive thoughts

insideout20
03-11-15, 09:39
hi,

it shouldnt take that long, 2 days maximum, they dont work for everyone though so you may need another one, 40mg is quite a lot also im surprised its not working

try nexium instead, i found they work better and you can buy them in tesco etc

23tana
03-11-15, 10:55
I take 20mg in the morning and 20mg at night. They started to work for me in a couple of days. You do have to think about what you eat and cut out things that affect you - like Indian food and anything very spicy.

Emilym80
05-11-15, 15:18
I think it can vary depending on the person. Also, eating takeaway may give you reflux anyway if it's especially oily/fried etc. I took pantoprazole- it took a week to kick in properly and sort of stopped working after a couple of weeks. Give it some time and tell your doctor if it's still not working because they may want to try something else.