PDA

View Full Version : Need some help !

Worrywart528
02-11-15, 22:34
This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me. In July of this year I start worrying about Skin Cancer after a dermatology visit. I start obsessing over it, checking myself non stop, applying sun screen, actually being careful for the first time in my life.

Fast forward 3 months and I go to the dermatologist for a bump on my nose. I get diagnosed with Actinic Keratosis (pre cancer) at 35. I really do not have visible sun damage... some minor lines in my forehead, no crazy pigmentation, no wrinkles. She pretty much says well you created this sun damage and now it is just wait and see.

My entire weekend has been shot. I have moments where I am fine and then I start looking up Actinic Keratosis online and read stories about people whos head, arms and body are covered by this. How they suffer from multiple skin cancers on top of this and I become sick.

I know PA fisherman had a few removed has anyone else on this forum had Actinic Keratosis ? I am losing my mind thinking about my future. If anyone has dealt with this and did not progress into the full body lesions please let me know.

Iblametheparents
02-11-15, 23:29
Only a very small % go on to become SCC. I think I've got one too, on my cheek. I'm watching and waiting a couple of weeks before I go back to the GP as she advised. I'm staying chilled, hoping for the best. Occasionally I get a heave of worry but I'm keeping it in check.
I was working with a doctor today who is having chemo tomorrow for a recurrence of prostate cancer. He has teenage children. He was very stoic, probably very worried but you deal with things as they come, eh? What I'm getting at is there's always someone worse off.

I don't know, if it's not one thing, it's another. I've worried about so many minor symptoms, and I very rarely remember what they were!
As for sun damage, I listened to an Inside Health podcast that said to reliably block all sun you'd have to use a bottle of suncream a day! Nobody does that. Don't beat yourself up about getting the occasional tan. Everybody does it.

MyNameIsTerry
03-11-15, 08:08
As for sun damage, I listened to an Inside Health podcast that said to reliably block all sun you'd have to use a bottle of suncream a day! Nobody does that. Don't beat yourself up about getting the occasional tan. Everybody does it.

Plus then your body would not be making any vitamin D and you would end up with a defiency anyway and feel pretty rough!

OP - my dad had something like this on his nose a few years ago. He has worked outdoors for over 30 years anything up to 7 days a week for 9-10 hours a day and never usewd suncreams. The consultant said what he had was very common in people who had outdoor occupations but he also said they were highly treatable and success rates were excellent.

He had a local on the day of the op and they removed it. They took a skin graft from his leg and bandaged him up. It did leave him with a chunk missing so they offered cosmetic surgery to correct it but with him being around seventy he said he didn't care about that at his time of life. You could see if quite clearly but after some months the skin changed colour and it became less & less visible. My dad is pretty tanned on his face & neck with all those years working outdoors but it seemed to change pretty quick to blend in. I barely notice it now.

I can't remember which form my dad's was since there are a few skin ones that are very minor that are something people with outdoor occupations have but it sounds familiar.