PDA

View Full Version : Echocardiogram

Daniel28
03-11-15, 16:30
Good evening everyone!
I had an echo done last Monday and I just want to know if it can find peritonitis or Lyme carditis? The results come back normal apparently but Ive been running round the hospital trying to find the doctor that referred me so I can get a copy because I won't believe it until I see the results myself. I'm totally convinced I've got It im sending myself into depression because I can't get a diagnosis and apparently it's very difficult to diagnose ?

white1989
03-11-15, 16:51
Hi Daniel,
I've never heard of either of these conditions, but I'm guessing an echocardiongram is a pretty detailed test which would show any abnormalities surrounding the heart. sorry to sound dumb, but is that an ECG where they stick the little stickers on you (I've had tonnes of these), or is it the ultrasound scan of the heart?

Daniel28
03-11-15, 18:22
Yeah it's a scan that shows the structure and size of the heart and and how well the valves are working. I had an ecg & chest x-ray today,both were fine according to the doctor. I don't understand why I'm having these cardiac issues and ecgs etc keep coming back normal it's so frustrating.

2Anxious
03-11-15, 19:01
Yeah it's a scan that shows the structure and size of the heart and and how well the valves are working. I had an ecg & chest x-ray today,both were fine according to the doctor. I don't understand why I'm having these cardiac issues and ecgs etc keep coming back normal it's so frustrating.

What cardiac issues? I have to tell you that I laughed when I read Lyme Carditis, the things anxiety can do to a person is crazy. How did you come to think you have it?

Also I'm guessing you mean pericarditis, and yes it would show up on an echo.

Emilym80
03-11-15, 23:46
Yeah, an echocardiogram should pick up on any infections/inflammation.

If your tests are fine, I think you can assume you're having what feels like/are cardio complaints due to anxiety.

Lifelonganxiety!
04-11-15, 00:13
Yes, an Echo would pick up something related to the function of the heart.

I'm curious as to why you think seeing the results would make you feel better. Are you saying that you think the Dr. is lying to you? The alternative is that you are better qualified than they are.

white1989
04-11-15, 16:35
I completely feel your pain, my tests never seem to show anything up but I continue to suffer and suffer! by the sounds of it those tests would definitely had recognised an abnormality, but I know being a fellow sufferer that that is rarely reassuring. best wishes x

Liviguy
04-11-15, 16:43
My doctor looked at me over her specs one day and said that I am never going to be happy until they do find something so I can turn around and say I told you so.....................even if that may be in 30 years time lol. And she was sadly correct

Daniel28
05-11-15, 11:01
Thanks for the replies! A copy of the echo results are being sent to me by post, so hopefully it will put my mind at ease when I see it but I'm fearing it won't to be honest,I honestly think like above post says I won't be happy until something is found thats how I truly feel at the minute. It's totally took full control of my life,the moment I wake in the morning I'm checking my pulse and putting a BP cuff on and all I can think of all day is my heart is gonna stop etc I don't enjoy going out to far from home incase I collapse or have a bad panic attack and the ambulance won't be able to find me..It's no quality of life and a very dark place and I just don't know what to do? I've been prescribed sertaline and proponanlol, has anybody had experience on these tablets are they any good? I have mild asthma and a low heart rate so that's putting me of taking the latter but I'm willing to take sertaline.

white1989
05-11-15, 14:54
I totally can relate to that Daniel, I'm constantly obsessing over my heart and thinking every day will be the day I die because my heart will fail!! and I understand what its like to fear being too far away from home, I don't like doing anything that disturbs my normal routine even meeting up with a friend for dinner after work makes me feel really uneasy and gives me horrific anxiety that i'll get heart problems while I'm there, i haven't tried any medication so i cant offer any advise on that but rest assured you're not alone and this is a great forum for support, best wishes xx