PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy spells

Merlinssister
17-09-04, 17:27
I know this is a common one, but has anybody got any handy hints/advice for dealing with dizzy spells/feeling lightheaded in a subtle manner. I find I'm getting them more now I'm back at work, and especially when I talk to people. I'm trying to control the breathing, and have a tissue with geranium on which i sniff whilst pretending to gently wipe my nose.

I mean, I know the dizziness is due to the anxiety and not breathing properly, but it's just freaking me out at the moment, and makes me feel like I've made no progress at all over the summer.

KW
17-09-04, 17:38
Hi there

I get dizzy like you when talking to people. I always have a glass of water on my desk and I find it helps to sip it thoughout the day, and if i can i go out of the building if i feel too bad just for 5 mins to get some fresh air. I don't know if that advice will hellp or not! That's just what I do..hope you feel better soon

KW

seh1980
17-09-04, 18:36
hello there,

Eating something small has always got rid of my dizzy spells. Even just sucking on a sweetie often helps.

Sarah :D

carlin
17-09-04, 20:34
I know this sounds so selfish, but to know other people suffer with dizziness does help me i have suffered with panic attacks for fifteen years now, and my main symptom being dizziness, i know i,m not going to die or collapse, but i still can,t convince myself it is just panic,, i have no good advice other than to say, i have been so dizzy for so many years, nothing worse has happened, i've never fainted, i've not had a heart attack, listen to me, i wish i could have been this sensible this morning when i had to run out of the shop cos i felt so bad

jollywalrus
18-09-04, 19:40
Dizziness is my worst and most feared symptom too. I get it every day, but I am starting to believe it wont hurt me, and hopefully half the battle is won.
Best wishes,
Christine

Merlinssister
19-09-04, 11:25
Thanks guys. I'll definitely try the water and sweeties (do I need a better excuse for that??) and I am trying to tell myself that I have actually yet to faint. Am also thinking of taking a small radio into the school and putting Classic FM on in the background as I find it very calming at the moment.

Meg
20-09-04, 14:40
It goes with time and confidence

Meg

Wishingstar
22-09-04, 00:21
I get dizzy *a lot* and have done for several years now. No quick fixes but I do find that eating properly, lots of good whole grains and no processed foods, and drinking plenty of water all day helps a bit.

If I do get a dizzy spell, I try and take a moment and "centre" myself by holding onto something very firm, like a wall, or something very big and heavy and concentrating on focusing my mind on it. Doesn't always work but it is worth a shot!

As you keep practicing telling yourself that it is only panic and nothing more serious, it will fade. Just takes time and persistence.

Jules31
22-09-04, 11:03
I just tell myself it's only anxiety and that it can't harm me. I know it's hard when it feels like you're going to fall over or pass out. I have dizziness everyday too but like you I haven't fainted yet or anything.

I often find going to the loo and doing some diaphragmatic breathing for a few minutes helps too.

Take care, you aren't alone

Jules

Merlinssister
25-09-04, 10:59
Thanks Jules and WS. Really helpful. Distraction seems to work best for me, as does the occasional really heavy blow out of air from my lungs. Not been too bad at work, but still finding it tough in shops. Oh well, I can't afford to buy anything anyway!

sal
26-09-04, 22:35
Hi Hon

Pleased to hear you are coping a bit better. Know how you feel about shopping i dont like that at all.

Pleased you are coping well at school and managing to keep going, you are doing really well.

Love Sal xxxxx

seh1980
26-09-04, 22:54
Shopping is always a difficult one cos you are surrounded by people and rows of items. I used to hate it but am much better now...you will get much better at it with time!! Take care.

Sarah :D

carlin
28-09-04, 18:47
oh, gosh, i've had a pig of a day - before i had even opened my eyes i felt so nervous and on edge, my stomach was churning and when i got up. i felt dizzy and scared - this has happened before - several times, but i have been sort of ok for a few weeks - i had no major appointments, i didn't even have to go out, which suit me fine, so i still do not understand why this happens to me, even now i still feel ugh - thanks for being here it does help me every day - especially on days like today

Meg
28-09-04, 19:20
so what did you do with yourslef to make yourself feel better ?

Glad to hear that you've been okish for a few weeks.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

carlin
28-09-04, 19:49
you made me stop and think, what did i do to make myself a little better, firstly my father-in-law came to visit 1st distraction, then my 2 younger children came in from school, (ages 14 and 15) then older children came home from work 2nd and third distraction - hubby then went off to work - all had a fully prepared cooked meal, so what i'm trying to say is that i had so many distractions, i had little time to think about myself - and , i know this is bad, but i had a couple of beers as well - i do have a lot of spare time on my hands now - frightened to commit to anything in case i let people down 'cos of my panic i don't really know right now what to do with myself, muddled and confused, but still manage to have a bit of a sense of humour, definately not doom and gloom, maybe just one of those days - thanks

Merlinssister
04-10-04, 06:54
Thanks for the support guys. And carlin, way to go on the busy day. Great way to distract yourself. As for the shop thing, I think it's mostly down to the overload of information you get in the average shop. Rows and rows of goods, loads of people, dodgy neon lights, the whole works. It's hard enough at the best of times, least of all when your anxious. Still, the credit card can't take much more, so it saves me one hassle. :)

Meg
04-10-04, 18:32
There you go ...

Well done for figuring it out .

Distract to prove you can and then change those thoughts to far more realistic ones and stop yourself from dwelling on the very unlikely far fetched disaster stories .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

sal
05-10-04, 00:46
Hi Merlin

Pleased you are doing ok.

Credit cards who invented them???????? But we all use them LOL

Love Sal xxxxx

sal
05-10-04, 00:48
Hi Carlin

A busy day and you felt a lot better. Hope it carries on. Time is our best healer but also time to think is not what we need.

Well done and i hope it continues mate.

Love Sal xxxxx

cattia
04-11-17, 09:09
Hi, I can see that this is a really old thread but this is what I'm dealing with at the moment and I was wondering if anyone on here now is experiencing the same and can share your tips on how you deal with it?-I get these turns quite a few times a day at the moment, especially when I'm at work and rarely when I'm at home. I don't consciously feel any more anxious when it starts but then it makes me more anxious which makes me worse. All my blood tests have been normal. I think this is another anxiety symptom but when it happens I struggle to believe that feeling suddenly light headed, exhausted and distant from everything can really be caused by just anxiety.