PDA

View Full Version : Got my appointment date, now scared

hopeful927
04-11-15, 22:52
So I got the call for my colonoscopy. Any help for dealing with my anxiety over the next few weeks would be so much appreciated. I wasn't as stressed about it before because I didn't have the date, but now that I have the date I am losing it. I am trying to remind myself that it is more for my anxiety, as I am not even having any symptoms at the moment. I have had hemmeroids and fissures, which would explain the occasional bleeding on the toilet paper. I still have a hard time controlling myself. Please, please give me advice.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Anyone?

hopeful927
12-11-15, 18:35
So my colonoscopie is scheduled for November 17th. Anything anyone can say to help me settle down about it would be appreciated. I am not scared about the procedure at all, my anxiety is all about what they will find. I am not even having any symptoms (no bleeding or loose stools), everything is working fine, but I just have this vision that they are going to find something horrible. Please help. I don't know how I will make it to Tuesday.

Pepperpot
12-11-15, 20:38
Hey ,
I'm sorry you feel like this - I have had a sigmoidoscopy. The way you gotta think about this is, if you don't have the procedure, you will forever be wondering if there is something wrong when you next get the symptoms. Now, I haven't read any of your other posts, but if you are only having intermittent symptoms then that's gotta be a good sign (according to my doc). At least if you have the procedure then you know one way or another, and you can deal with it. The doc will tell you instantly what they find too, so there is no waiting around. I am afraid you are just gonna have to be brave, and get this done xx

hopeful927
12-11-15, 20:46
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I have just had bleeding on the toilet paper on and off for a couple of years. I know rationally that everything will probably be fine, but health anxiety is not rational unfortunately so it takes my thoughts and keeps running. Thankfully I was on the cancellation list, and I got put in a week earlier which I am very pleased about. Just need it done.

Pepperpot
12-11-15, 20:50
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I have just had bleeding on the toilet paper on and off for a couple of years. I know rationally that everything will probably be fine, but health anxiety is not rational unfortunately so it takes my thoughts and keeps running. Thankfully I was on the cancellation list, and I got put in a week earlier which I am very pleased about. Just need it done.
To be honest, it will more than likely be piles. It wouldn't be so bad if you could see/feel one, but when they are internal and you can't see them then you worry when they bleed. It's only 5 days away now - you can do this. I know about health anxiety - I have had to block the board on here so I can't see the posts as it was setting me off lol x

hopeful927
13-11-15, 01:49
Thanks. Deep down I am sure it will be fine but anxiety is so tricky. I hate it so much! I imagine them saying stupid stuff like " it's cancer, there is nothing we can do" I know, totally irrational.

Pepperpot
13-11-15, 11:55
Thanks. Deep down I am sure it will be fine but anxiety is so tricky. I hate it so much! I imagine them saying stupid stuff like " it's cancer, there is nothing we can do" I know, totally irrational.

The irrational thoughts are a swine aren't they lol. Please try not to worry - you would have allsorts of other symptoms if it was sinister x

hopeful927
13-11-15, 17:32
I know. Seriously, you feel embarrassed even talking about the irrational thoughts, like my daughter wants to plan her birthday for the end of the month and the thought that I may not be able to plan it as I may have colon cancer pops in my head. It is like there is a little alien in my brain dreaming up the most dreadful thoughts. I guess that is where cognitive behavioural therapy comes in. Disputing the thoughts etc. So exhausting.

Pepperpot
13-11-15, 18:43
Oh yeah - I know exactly what you mean. It's awful x

hopeful927
15-11-15, 14:13
I am getting so much more nervous as it gets closer. Don't know how I'm going to make it until Tuesday. I keep worrying about them having to take biopsies and then I have to continue worrying for longer. Oh I just pray it is clear and I can go home and relax.

jayb1
15-11-15, 15:29
You'll be fine and they sedate you while they're doing it!!!! Look how quick the time has gone since you first got the date through . Hang in there . :hugs:

hopeful927
15-11-15, 23:39
How can I calm my fears about them finding something?

hopeful927
17-11-15, 14:39
Here I go! So looking forward to having some toast when this is finished. I'll let you all know how I did when I get back!

Pepperpot
17-11-15, 18:50
What happened x

hopeful927
17-11-15, 20:07
So the procedure was fine, definitely the worst part was the prep. He found internal hemmerroids and a little diverticulitis but otherwise I am healthy. So glad it is over! Thank you everyone for all your support in this journey with me.