PDA

View Full Version : Going through an anxious episode

mlondon
04-11-15, 21:21
Hi all. I've had anxiety for 7 years and tend to go through a big anxious episode every 3 - 6 months. What often happens is my anxiety slowly begins to build up and up but I usually feel like I am on top of it as this point. Then suddenly it intensifies. I have had lots going on recently - study, work, family visiting and I also have another big 6 months of visitors (I live in Australia) and study (I am doing a PhD) and work. I found out that work wants me to travel for 2 months next year to remote places, this I think was the tipping point. Even though I really want to do it, I am also scared, don't want to leave my partner and am not sure how I am going to get everything done. Before a big episode of anxiety comes my stress levels build and I begin to lose sight of the fun in things, even things which are meant to be fun become a chore which I next to tick off the list. This combined with a big weekend involving drinking and Halloween which I am not a massive fan of accumulated in a big panic attack yesterday.

This is how I felt- I couldn't breath properly, I had to get out of the house and be in a place where there were people so I could be 'safe', I felt dizzy, my body trembled and my skin tingled, I wanted to throw up, I felt in a spacey haze, I felt detached, exhausted, confused, I had racing thoughts, felt like I was going mad or going to die. After the first major episode that came and went all day. I stayed at uni as there were people around until my partner got home.

Its day 2 and I will be speaking to my therapist tonight. I left the house at 7.30am when my partner did because I didn't want to be alone, unsurprisingly I am the first one in Uni. I have 12 hours to get through before he comes home. I am not having a panic attack but my anxiety level is still massive. The main feeling is sickness in my stomach, chest tightening, exhaustion, dizziness and detachment. I will likely feel this all day as I did yesterday. I am terrified that thoughts are going to come into my head which will cause me to go into a panic.

It would be great to hear from you that this is only panic as sometimes I worry it is something more and any other words of encouragement.

Thanks

SOBAY310
04-11-15, 21:33
Hey there! :hugs:

I'm going through a similar type of thing. My anxiety was pretty much gone until a year ago and then I had a big panic attack while driving. I got over that, and then it happened again a few months ago. So I've been a bit on edge for a few weeks straight now.

I too have a job that has asked me to travel for a bit. My "normal" self is excited, but then I have this fear that I'm going to get into the frame of mind where my anxiety will take over and I'll have that feeling of not being able to escape that crappy feeling that comes with it (chest pains, trouble swallowing, can't take a deep breathe, racing mind, fast heart rate, etc).

I bet you are similar to me in that we can be feeling fine and all of a sudden it's like a voice pops in our head and says, "Hey! You have anxiety! Don't forget!" and then our mind goes to that horrible place and our symptoms come rushing back. I'm trying to figure out how to stop that voice from coming back, because it is so exhausting. Like you, I'm tired of that detached feeling because I'm spending so much energy on fighting off the anxiety.

I hate the feeling that as soon as I get a chest pain or tinge that my mind freaks out that I'm going to have a heart attack. I hate that I can't be a normal person and just put 100% into my work and family because I'm always fighting this anxiety battle.

Just know that I and so many others are going through this with you too. We have great days and awful days, but just remember that no matter how bad the anxiety gets we still wake up the next day and the anxiety attacks can't kill us. I just wish we could kill the anxiety! haha.

Much love...

:bighug1:

mlondon
04-11-15, 21:54
Thank you for your message, that really helped. I totally agree with the 'normal' me feeling excited and then the 'anxious' me saying but you will be in danger!

The book 'Get out of your mind and into your life' by Stephen Hayes has really helped me. I am also watching this youtube clip as well speak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYb8U0J_tuY and I recommend looking up ACT on the bus video.

This things are all great. Thanks so much for your message.

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

ps reading your response was like reading about myself!

SOBAY310
04-11-15, 22:01
I just started watching that link you posted. Love the part about him re-emphasizing that the symptoms of a panic attack are frightening but they are normal and there is no real danger.

I'll keep watching it, thank you for posting.

mlondon
04-11-15, 22:13
Yes that really reassured me as well.

ray.olsen
06-11-15, 03:39
Hey

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Stress really triggers anxiety and based on what you've stated you have been through a lot of stress. It's a good thing that you want to be around oher people, that's really a good idea. I know how difficult it can be when all those symptoms kicks in and how important it is that someone can be there to provide help.

It's a good thing that you went and see your therapist. How did the session go? were you able to clarify your inquiries? What methods are you currently undertaking in dealing with your stress issues?

Don't overthink too much. What you are experiencing is panic and nothing more, it's your anxiety that's trying to make you think otherwise. Trust the diagnosis of your doctors. I hope you get well soon. Let us know how you are now. God Bless.

dally
06-11-15, 08:12
Hi there,
You are stressed. So you have to find ways of dealing with it. I understand completely. When you just don't feel the joie de vivre But still HAVE to function.
I am assuming you are doing progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing when you are feeling overwhelmed. Distraction= computer games to concentrate on something else.

I find it hard taking meds, and do not really think they are the answer, but if your feelings intensify (especially adrenaline fuelled panic symptoms), it may be worth trying a beta blocker. They can take the edge of some symptoms and prevent your mind spiraling out of control.

For nausea, that your u KNOW is caused by anxiety, eat little and often, light bland snacks. Nutritious soups are easy to ingest and absorb. Exhaustion is just an anxiety symptom, but if you are not eating well due to nausea, perhaps you could take a short course of multivitimens (with food to prevent upset stomach)