PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever worry about something you don't even think happened?

laurenmk
05-11-15, 09:13
I was walking down the street here in Manchester and looked up to see a pigeon soaring by probably 20 feet above me. Ever since I've been obsessed with worry that it pooped in my eye. The thing is, I know I didn't feel anything in my eye, and surely you'd feel that! Even still, I can't stop worrying and even Googled. Now I'm about to go to the pharmacy for eye drops to make myself hopefully feel better. Do you ever find that happens to you?

Liviguy
05-11-15, 09:36
Hi Lauren,

Firstly, as a recipient of birds crapping on me many times now (it's meant to be good luck BTW), you would know if it had gone in your eye. It's not something you wouldn't know about.

By all means get eye drops, but I know will have nothing to worry about.

emily67
05-11-15, 17:03
I have a couple of times.

probably the most recent was worrying that I was going to Cyprus.

I don't know why, but I convinced myself that i'd baught tickets to go, and i spent a good majority of time looking up the local attractions etc, so i knew what i'd do when i got their

strange really, I've never left the country- and i'm agoraphobic. why i felt i was going to Cyprus, i don't know.

it lasted for a while and i was really anxious about going to the airport and everything

Fishmanpa
05-11-15, 17:07
You do realize how irrational this is right? :) Having been on the receiving end of a "gift from above" on several occasion in my life (and I don't mean something from the All Mighty), I can tell you there is no mistaking it.

Positive thoughts

laurenmk
05-11-15, 22:30
I do, Fishman. Like I said, I was sitting there saying to myself, "Lauren, that simply did not happen. You can feel when a tiny bit of mist hits your eye, so you'd feel bird poop." Totally rational part of me shaking its head. The irrational part can find a way to concoct one heck of an alternate reality though! It was over 12 hours ago and I'm doing fine with it at this point. Unfortunately most of the reason for that is that something much more plausible and therefore scary happened. :unsure:

Fishmanpa
05-11-15, 23:01
Unfortunately most of the reason for that is that something much more plausible and therefore scary happened. :unsure:

Like nothing??

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
05-11-15, 23:08
This is like the false memory issue in OCD. There are people who think they have run someone over but it's not a delusional issue because they still doubt it hence the worry whereas a delusional person believes it 100% no matter what physical evidence is presented to them that they didn't do it.

You know that you would have felt it. It would have hurt, you would have needed to clean your eye out, there would be likely some after effect like swelling or irritation.

Accept it is just a thought and more important than any other mundane thought. Treat it like we do with OCD as it sounds like it might be an intrusive thought.

yogibear
06-11-15, 01:32
This is very interesting. As in you learn something new every day. Everyone really has there own struggle. I genuinely would like to know more on your thought process so going to look this one up online. Interesting to me but of course very disturbing and worrying for you. As you said, you know it didn't happen and perhaps every time you start thinking it did happen change your thought straight away to it not happening. Hope you feel better soon x

MyNameIsTerry
06-11-15, 05:30
This is very interesting. As in you learn something new every day. Everyone really has there own struggle. I genuinely would like to know more on your thought process so going to look this one up online. Interesting to me but of course very disturbing and worrying for you. As you said, you know it didn't happen and perhaps every time you start thinking it did happen change your thought straight away to it not happening. Hope you feel better soon x

Just Google "False Memory OCD" and you should get some hits as it's a known form within OCD. Never heard it before with HA, not yet anyway, but noticed the OP has raised another thread with a contamination theme hence could be OCD issues.

yogibear
06-11-15, 23:58
The op?

Fishmanpa
07-11-15, 00:32
The op?

"O"riginal "P"oster

PT "P"ositive "T"houghts :)

AnnieMags
07-11-15, 12:40
The Original Poster, Yogibear. Best wishes, Annie :)

Movielife
08-11-15, 20:28
I was walking down the street here in Manchester and looked up to see a pigeon soaring by probably 20 feet above me. Ever since I've been obsessed with worry that it pooped in my eye. The thing is, I know I didn't feel anything in my eye, and surely you'd feel that! Even still, I can't stop worrying and even Googled. Now I'm about to go to the pharmacy for eye drops to make myself hopefully feel better. Do you ever find that happens to you?

I'm in the same area. PM me if you know of any anxiety groups or ever want to just vent about anxiety....my friends and partner are sick of hearing about it!